Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for ladies - extremely irregular periods anything to worry about

Question for ladies - extremely irregular periods anything to worry about

Since starting my periods at 11, they have always been extremely irregular in every way possible.

For example for a couple of months they may be ok and come every 4 to 5 weeks (there is never a set patern of days), thn for maybe 3 months Il get them every 10 days, and then they might go to once every 2 months, back to every 4 to 5 weeks again maybe a month were I get about 3 shor periods etc!!

Plus they vary how long they last anything from 6 to 11 days, but never less than about 6 days. They also vary alot in terms of how heavy they are. Usually the longer they last the lighter they are. Theyre never extremely heavy though I wouldnt say.

I suffer from no signs of PMS at all, no mood swings, no pain or cramps or any discomfort at all before or during periods etc so im lucky there.

I mentioned this to a doc when went about something else and she said sounded like nothing at all to be worried about since they had always been like that and was probs a hormonal thing I shouldnt worry about. Ive never taken birth control pill and am 26.

Should I be worried?? Couldnt be signs of cervical cancer or abnormal cells could it? (Have never been examined or had a smear test)
    Last edited by louise123_uk; 21-03-10 at 15:51.

Re: Question for ladies - extremely irregular periods anything to worry about

I think if you've always been like this then it's nothing to worry about. It'd be different if you had changes all of a sudden. I think it would still be a good idea to have a smear as it's a good habit to get into having one and they only need done every few years.
    Myra x

Well I think they have always been very irregular as far as I can remember, i just never thought anything of it before till started thinking about cervical cancer with the ehole jade goody thing

I think what happened to Jade made everyone think, it was so sad. But it's a great chance to make sure you have a regular smear, then you can stop worrying about it and put it behind you.
    Myra x

Terrified of having a smear test.... Never been examined down there, plus think id be a bag of nerves about results, think id seriously lose it if anything was abnormal in slightest!! im er a virgin, so thts mostly why never had one done as didnt think was essential for me

Sorry! I don't usually assume! No, there's probably no need for you to have a smear at the moment, but if your doctor thinks everything with you is normal then I'd try not to worry about it. I know it's difficult but if it's something that is normal for you then I don't think you need to worry.
    Take care
    Myra x

I'd agree -if the doc thinks this is normal for you, try to take this on board and stop worrying.

Just a quick question Louise- are you overweight? I only ask this because I was and my periods were all over the place- exactly as you described. As soon as I started losing weight, they got better and better and when I had shifted a few stone, they became regular as clockwork and have been perfect ever since. I even get cramps now, which I welcome as they are a sign everything is running normally for me.

Of course there are many reasons why our periods can be irregular which are nothing to do with weight, I just thought sharing my experience might help xx

Im probs slightly underweight, my BMI is about 18, which I think is at the lowest end of normal for me height. Ive always been this weight, and have always had low BMI (though was probs underweight when I was a teenager, just a natural thing)

Weight really does have a bearing on our periods as oestrogen is stored in our fat BUT your GP is obviously aware of your weight, not that you are massively underweight or anything, and obviously thinks this isn't an issue.

Have you considered some form of birth control to help regulate/ control your periods? xx

I have suffered from irregular periods all my life it is definitely nothing to worry about xxxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information