Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Tell" new friends or "pretend" to be normal...?

Hi all

I still find it hard at work cos the guys I work with take the pi** a bit and there are no women in the team to support me. I tend to suffer alone and go to the loos etc.

As for my friends, well the ones that need to know know but I am not too forthcoming with telling just anyone cos I still feel that it is my business.

I do try to be open about it but it is hard and because my friends don't REALLY understand then I guess I just skim over the details and let them try and imagine how bad it can be.

My closest friends know and understand if I cancel things cos of it so that is good.

We all need friends that understand but I find that just having one that understands (my partner) is enough to keep me going.

Nic

the people i work with now dont understand they have got me down as
    being quite mad i think,but i have only work with them a short while,its when they ring me up,i start to panic,some times with my attacks i can not hear,so panic more,because i dont know who it is.
    it may sound strange but i see a bright white light ,but thats my attacks. bish

I can totally understand this as, since I gave up work because of anxiety two years ago I have become more anxious about meeting people socially.I was never particularly comfortable meeting new people in any situation, but now I think it is partly anxiety and partly that I don't want to have to tell everone I meet about my problem.

Someone else said here that their panic attacks are their own business and I agree, but I always find when you meet someone new, sooner or later they ask "so what do you do?" As a 35 year old (with no children to look after) its difficult to admit I don't work without them asking why, or thinking it is odd. Plus I always feel a bit ashamed because of the anxiety AND because I don't work. I know I shouldn't but it's hard not to, because I know some people don't understand and can think you are just a slacker!. So now I just get so anxious I'd rather avoid meeting new people.

It is definitely due to feeling inferior with some people. I could probably meet everyone here face to face quite happily because you all understand. But I recently got into such a state about meeting my best friend's new boyfriend for the first time that I had to cancel.And I know it was partly because she had told me all about his job (professor of music at some university) his big house, how well-spoken he was, etc. I just thought "I have nothing in common with him" and "I haven't even got a job to talk about and i'll have to tell him about my anxiety, which I don't want to do".

I'd love to be able to tell people the situation without being ashamed or embarassed, but I haven't worked out how to get to that stage yet!

Hi Gill,

I advise people to just share as much of the truth as you want to with each person.

So to a stranger just say that you're unable to work at the moment due to ill health. If they ask what it is , just say it's personal and hope they understand but you'd rather not share the details with them. End of story. Then simply keep quiet . It's very hard to keep up the questioning then .[8D]

They can guess from then on until you decide to tell them more at a later date.

Will your best friend not have already filled in the boyfriend on your circumstances ?

Gill

Tell them you don't need to work cos you won the lottery - that will shut them all up!!!

Nicola

Hi Radar, thanks for your advice. I have thought about saying that to people, but I haven't yet because I am afraid that saying "it's personal" might make them embarassed about asking & then we'll have an uncomfortable silence! See...that's part of my problem, I worry too much what other people think of me.

Yes, my friend has told him about me. I'm sure he is very understanding, apparently one of his friends is a psychologist and his young son had treatment for depression so he's hardly likely to treat me like a leper, I suppose!Afterwards when I'm calm, I can see how irrational it is to second- guess how meeting someone will be and to assume the worst. but when I get into a state, I can't think straight. I'm going to try & get some help to tackle it, though, because I don't want to get any worse. Finding this website has been great.

Gill

Try and come back in the chat room again sometime cos we all gets lots of help from each other in there too - it is good to talk to fellow sufferers.

Try not to worry about what people think of you. Everyone has their problems and we are not all perfect so don't be embarrassed about your illness.

Take each day as it comes and then you will soon be back at work again

Nic

I recently went to college. Was totally dreading this experience but on the interview I explained about my PA`s and asked the interviewer if I should mention about my anxiety problem to the teachers of various classes.

He recommended that I should, so on every new class I visited I took the teacher aside and gave a brief explanation on my problem.

Basically I told them that if I just "up and leave" in the middle of class it wouldn`t be through ignorance or anything, just that I suffered PA`s.

On my full two year term at college I never had to leave a class once! I guess that was through knowing that the door was always open if I needed to leave!

So basically. Yeah! I think it is a good idea to explain your anxiety to people. Some of my closest friends don`t know about my problem, but I find that when I`m with the ones that do, I`m kinda relaxed. When I`m with the ones that don`t, I`m always tense and nervous waiting on something to happen.

Mulder

Great advice and it obviously works.

I recently told my boss that I had started suffering again and he in turn told the other guys I work with so now they are more understanding when I call in sick or work from home.

So, it does help to let people know doesn't it?

Nicola

hi nic
    i wish my boss could understand that, all i get is get back too work or if you cant do the job we will get someone else,thats why im looking for another job .
    bish

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information