Thread: Throwing things away

Arrow Throwing things away

I have the opposite of Hoarding OCD's. I keep throwing clothes away and don't like to have like too many shirts ect..I have to throw any clothes away if I fear germs on them. It could be from going to the toilet, if a top has dropped on the floor and worse when the people came to clean the drains near where sewage had leaked I had to throw my tops out from the washing line incase they got contaminated.

Does anybody else suffer this? I also have a fear of owning too many xbox games too. Get thighs like it's a waste ect..I went through a brief phase of Hoarding but I'm more the opposite like to waste things, chuck things away...also if say I tied my shoe lace and I had chewing gum in my pocket I'd throw it away incase it came near my "dirty" hands.

Anybody else? I have such a fear I battle with my inner self and the only way is to throw away to get some relief.

Re: Throwing things away

I can relate to the throwing things away thing. I am regularly having a sort out of some kind of my stuff. Cupboards, drawers, desks, etc. Throwing paperwork away, taking books videos clothes etc away for charity because I feel I have too much of it. I seem to be forever trying to 'slim down' the amount of stuff I have, one of the reasonings behind it being that the less stuff I have then it won't be such a strain on the floorboards and they won't come crashing down on me one evening!! Daft I know, but it also feels right as well.

I too have "episodes" where I will be ruthless and throw things away if I haven't used it recently or at that moment do not feel "sentimental!" I can't say its my worst or even effects my life so i can't truely understand but I can imagine how it would effect life badly for you. Have you tried any therapy?

x

I just seen to be worse with it. I've thrown alot away the last day or so in fear of contamination from the sewage. Even though the they opened the drain it was not near but because it was close to the washing line I could not hold onto it. My OCD keeps saying it's dangerous and can't go near my body. I feel this kind of OCD makes me crazy.

Phil have you been to your Dr? It seems your OCD is really affecting your life and the quality of your life. Perhaps CBT and or some medication? They say you are more likely to get better with the use of both.However this depends upon the person obviously. Take care xxx

I would agree. If the ocd is effecting you to this degree, then you obviously need some 'tools' to help you deal with this. As much as we would like to, it isn't something we can deal with alone. Ocd thrives on your embarrassment and wanting to keep it secret/hidden away. One of the best things you can do is talk to someone about it - a dr or a councellor, anyone! Take care and best of luck with it.

Thread Information