Thread: Viruses and myocarditis

Viruses and myocarditis

Why did I have to remember this one - that any virus can go to the heart and cause myocarditis which can be mild or life threatening. I stupidly googled it and of course the symptoms are same as those of loads of viruses - fast heartbeat/fever/chest pain etc etc.

Common sense tells me it is rare but I am in such a bad health anxiety panic being genuinly ill that I am googling.

I know that any virus speeds your heartbeat up until you are better and I have a fast heartbeat anyway due to anxiety ( didn't help reading that a persistant fast heartbeat can cause your heart to enlarge) and I read that your heartbeat would be fster than expected with a fever but didn't say how fast.

Please talk some sense into me someone

Re: Viruses and myocarditis

I've worked in a hospital for many years, with numerous viruses going around, and I've still never known anyone to have myocarditis!! Your heart can do all sorts of irregular things and still be as strong as ever!! Your fast heartbeat will definitely be caused by being anxious and below par and WINDING YOURSELF UP!! (which we've all done)! Why don't you listen to some music and wind down a wee bit. I hope you feel better soon.
    Myra x

Re: Viruses and myocarditis

Thanks Myra for talking sense to me!

I am actually having a 24 hr ecg in 10 days time so I know if a virus had got to my heart it would show up as an irregulatiry on the ecg.

I don't have the courage to admit my fears to my GP as I bet not many of his patients even know it exists

Thread Information