Thread: Emetophobia - Medications?

Emetophobia - Medications?

So I was wondering what medications emetophobics have found to be okay here? I am getting some meds soon for my GAD and panic, as I have had difficult even functioning properly and getting out and about etc. I was given zoloft but I also have IBS and it seemed to effect that.

I am also very low weight, and have emetophobia, so I need a medication least likely to have negative side effects on my stomach.

Re: Emetophobia - Medications?

after being on and off meds for years ive found cipralex is the one i get on with really well, i dont get that sick feeling side effect or zombie-like feeling like i did with the other medication ive used. have a talk with your doctor im sure they'll find one best suited for you x

i am very low weight too mumble, im 13, and i weigh 5 stone :/

I would like to know the answer to this question too as my therapist is asking me about medication, but I'm too scared so good on you!

Hey Tinker,

I experience the same things! its like I want to go out, but the 'What if' things really bother me, although on the other hand going out to see friends/for a walk/shopping can usually take my mind off of whatevers bothering me.

Like yesterday, I went to the Bullring in Birmingham, as you're probably aware its a VERY busy place, full of people, lots of potentially door handles/rails etc. I just put it to the back of my mind, did some retail therapy and before I knew it I was home and didnt even think about being sick!

Try not to let it spoil your plans, if you're careful with hygiene then I'm sure you'll be fine, go out and enjoy yourself, you'll come back and think 'What was I thinking?', I promise

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Hi Mumble

I am also scared of meds causing nausea. I took Zoloft and it affected my stomach too. When that stopped working, I saw a new psychiatrist and said I needed to try something new but it was vital that it didn't make me feel nauseous (as this is the key symptom of my panic attacks). Anyway, she put me on Effexor, which made me nauseous when I had an empty stomach. I went back to her, and she added in 2.5mg of Olanzapine (a VERY low dose of a neuroleptic, which is good for anxiety). This stuff is great - it completely stops nausea. I have hardly felt naueous since I've been on it, and I was feeling nauseous at least once a day before. It also has a tendency to constipate a little, so if your IBS makes you poop a lot, it helps for that too.

I hope that helps - good luck finding the right med.

Dahlia

Thanks Dahlia, that's interesting to know! I'll see what my doc says.

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

It's worth bearing in mind that Olanzapine is usually prescribed by a psychiatrist, rather than a GP. When I said to my GP that I had experienced nausea and diarrhoea for years due to meds side effects and was a bit p'ed off that there was a med (ie Olanzapine) I could have taken all the time to stop that, he told me it is something that psychiatrists prescribe, as the function I was using it for was 'off label'.

Good luck!

Dahlia

Thread Information