Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: beta blockers! anyone advise me?

beta blockers! anyone advise me?

i have anxiety but its not the reason i want to take these.
    I have ear congestion and my doc gave me sudafed which causes rapid heartbeat and nervousness as it is a stimulant! but i am worried as i feel nervous enough most days and really do not want to add to it :(
    But i need to take the sudafed as my ear is driving me nutts!!

I thought about asking him for a beta blocker as it calms the heart rate down, so i shouldnt feel the bad side effect from the sudafed ( i hope)

Do these work with the first tablet? they arent like antidepressants which can take weeks are they?

Are there any side effects i should be aware of? like stomach upsets for one (as i have a stomach prob)

Also are they addictive like xanax?

I only want to take them for a few weeks or less, while i am on the sudafed! so i shouldnt get dependant should I?

Thanks everyone xx

cmitchell

Hi Claire,

Yes they work much quicker ..

Some people just take them as needed but they are better taken regularly for a few days.
    Only side effect is - not to take if ashmatic and they drop your bloodpressure ( their primary use) but we usually get prescribed a lower dose.

Alternatively go and get your ears Hopi candled -clears them out in a jiffy with no ill effects at all. Many alternative practicioners do it as part of their portfolio. Gently warms up the junk and drains it out. Fabulous for sinuses too.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

can i ask about ur ear,my doc says my ear is congested,i keep getting a crackilng feeling in my right ear ,its worse when i hear loud noises,do u have any symptoms.im on propanolol for my anxiety and im not allowed to take a lot of decongestants because they interfere with the propanolol,also some of them put ur bp up,

years ago,doctors would just syringe the conjested ear/s..lately this has been frowned upon..but as meg says,alt therapists can heat the wax,and it will just flow out..end of problem!

medication is not like sweets..its not a good idea to..mix and match..for instance,a medication increases your heart rate,so lets find something to bring the heart rate down!

beta blockers basically control the flow of blood,in a mild dose,they bring the heart rate down,in a stronger dose,they bring the blood pressure down.

just explain your problem to your doctor,and he/she will decide wot to do for the best.....bryan.

It may be worth giving a nasal spray for congestion a go.

I suffered with "crackling and a feeling of water trapped" in my ears and my doctor recommended
    BECLOMETASONE Nasal Spray.

It is available without prescription, has no drug interactions and no special precautions.

PROPRANOLOL is used to reduce high blood pressure, to treat angina (chest pain),irregular heartbeats, migraines, and anxiety symptoms.
    Propranolol may help to control your condition but will not cure it.
    It may take several weeks for the medication to work.
    It is not addictive, but should not be stopped without advice from your doctor.

It has many special precautions and interactions. Especially cimetidine, Rantidine (Tagamet), Diltiazem and verapamil. It can also interact with medications for migraine headaches, allergies, colds, and pain relief.

Tell your doctor if you suffer from asthma, or other lung disease, heart, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, allergies, or thyroid problems. Or you are taking any other medications. If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking propranolol. (As it may react with a general anaesthetic.)

I agree with Bryan, discuss your problem with your doctor for the best advice.

I hope you find that information helpful.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

quote:Originally posted by tina2004

can i ask about ur ear,my doc says my ear is congested,i keep getting a crackilng feeling in my right ear ,its worse when i hear loud noises,do u have any symptoms.im on propanolol for my anxiety and im not allowed to take a lot of decongestants because they interfere with the propanolol,also some of them put ur bp up,
    It isnt a wax problem or an infection. Its a congestion in the inner ear. Feels like pressure! and it crackels, especially when i yawn! like i want to put a pin in my ear and relieve it all (i wouldnt though mind). Does this ever go on its own?? i have had ear aches on and off for a year and they allways went! this has been here for 2 weeks!! :(

cmitchell

[quote]Originally posted by stimpy

It may be worth giving a nasal spray for congestion a go.

I suffered with "crackling and a feeling of water trapped" in my ears and my doctor recommended
    BECLOMETASONE Nasal Spray.

It is available without prescription, has no drug interactions and no special precautions.

PROPRANOLOL is used to reduce high blood pressure, to treat angina (chest pain),irregular heartbeats, migraines, and anxiety symptoms.
    Propranolol may help to control your condition but will not cure it.
    It may take several weeks for the medication to work.
    It is not addictive, but should not be stopped without advice from your doctor.

It has many special precautions and interactions. Especially cimetidine, Rantidine (Tagamet), Diltiazem and verapamil. It can also interact with medications for migraine headaches, allergies, colds, and pain relief.

Tell your doctor if you suffer from asthma, or other lung disease, heart, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, allergies, or thyroid problems. Or you are taking any other medications. If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking propranolol. (As it may react with a general anaesthetic.)

I agree with Bryan, discuss your problem with your doctor for the best advice.

I hope you find that information helpful.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

Thanks! does the nasal spray actually help then? do u have the same problem as me? congestion in the inner ear, not wax or infection problem?
    I will get some if it helps!

cmitchell

quote:Originally posted by Radar

Hi Claire,

Yes they work much quicker ..

Some people just take them as needed but they are better taken regularly for a few days.
    Only side effect is - not to take if ashmatic and they drop your bloodpressure ( their primary use) but we usually get prescribed a lower dose.

Alternatively go and get your ears Hopi candled -clears them out in a jiffy with no ill effects at all. Many alternative practicioners do it as part of their portfolio. Gently warms up the junk and drains it out. Fabulous for sinuses too.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...
    Thanks, i have read that it is a load of rubbish! all the wax that comes out is from the candel! LOL

cmitchell

Some of my patients have found great relief for sinusēs and congestion which are not wax related.

I hope you get yours sorted out with one way or another as soon as possible as it can be so painful and constantly annoying. Let us know what helps.

Meg

Meg

are ya a doc?

what should i take, i have p.a's everyday on a school week and the rescue remedies arnt working as i thought

jade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information