I started taking lofepramine in October, I refused to take anymore SSRIs after an experience 10 months previous (citalopram) triggered what seemed like a manic phase in bipolar sufferers.

I became worried after the first couple of weeks that I felt too better, I worried it might go the way of the citalopram. My GP didn't want to know, refused to accept it was having any affect at all, even side effects until 3 weeks were up. This did gradually die down but I'm not sure they ever really did anything for how I was feeling.

I got worse, my anxiety went into depression and both were worse than ever. I was afraid of leaving the house, afraid of being anywhere else in the house apart from my bedroom, afraid of dealing with my housemates or really anybody. I'm not blaming the meds for that, I blame the house and my tendancy for anxiety at that time of year.

Getting away for xmas and new year helped, and then deciding to move and live alone, then doing it helped more. More stresses followed but I was better for a bit. Then very suddenly, like the flick of a switch I was bad again. Afraid to go out, for a few weeks. This turned into very dark moods, wanting to die. I then felt better for a few days, then worse again.

Then the unstability started and the very familiar feelings of how citalopram made me feel. I felt "high" and confused. Dangerous things felt like a good idea. I just knew it was these meds. I stopped taking them cold turkey a week ago.

Since then I've felt a lot more stable. I'm still avoiding going out and particular afraid of having to deal with people but I'm not all over the place. And today I actually used the phone and got some things filled out I desperately needed to do. I have no withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not sure if the med could suddenly react differently with me or not. I have various theories. I have been able to cold turkey off of antidepressants before. Maybe my "up" phase has started earlier than expected this year and badly disagreed with the meds. Maybe it's happened in the past and I haven't noticed due to the time I've chosen to stop taking them. I don't know.