Thread: Update on my scan (gallbladder) and a Q

Update on my scan (gallbladder) and a Q

I had my ultrasound on Sunday, no gallstones, yipeee! The songorapher said all looked well, she scanned kidneys, pancreas, gallbladder, liver and spleen.

I had helicobacter treatment the first week in Feb, I am still on lansoprazole, 15mg daily. I am seeing my GP next friday about having the retest for helicobacter and questioning whether the lansoprazole is causing me side effects. I am suffering all the time with a windy stomach, and low down like IBS.

I do have IBS but over the last 3-4 months its daily, i wake up feeling a full of wind, like an empty hungry feeling?? and it makes me dash to the toilet to open my bowels, not diorrhoea but I cant tell they aren't as they should be, or once were. I also feel full of gas low down in abdo, all under belly button area every night before i go to sleep, during the day it's on and off, sometimes ok, sometimes not. I don't have any heartburn or bad pains in stomach area like I used to have before the helicobacter treatment.

I just really wish this was all settled, I don't want to have an endoscopy. Won't they only need to do that if i am having acid symptoms high up? I just have pains and wind low down mainly, in lower abdomen. The sonographer said it was an endoscopy for the stomach, what about the bowel?

Thanks for all your support recently xx

Re: Update on my scan (gallbladder) and a Q

Hi there, they do endoscopy for the other end too. Not too pleasant, but better than what they did a few years ago, they'll make you sleepy if you want.

Sorry to hear you still have symptoms Jessica, i also have an upset windy stomach continously and my bowel movements are never what i would call "NORMAL" always loose, sometimes diarrohea but never properly formed, I also has helicobacter and was treated with antibiotics nearly one year ago as i had a pain under my right rib cage and its still there now, it comes and goes but i get it everyday at some point. I have had ultra sound which showed everything to be normal and recently i had a colonoscopy which is what they call it when a camera goes in to check your bowel, nothing really there either apart from a diverticular which they explained is common its like a small pocket in the bowel were waste can sometimes build up, and when they marked it on a diagram of my bowel its in the exact spot were i get the pain just under my right rib..

As for a follow up test for helicobacter i was told i couldnt be tested again for 12 months as it could still be present in the gut, and it was nothing really to worrie about as 1 in 3 people have it..

Dan

Did you have to stay on lansoprazole/omperazole PPI for long after the helicobacter? I have been on them for 2 months now, and I am nt sure if the wind/ibs is a side effect of them, my GP said it could be.

Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaLil View Post
    Did you have to stay on lansoprazole/omperazole PPI for long after the helicobacter? I have been on them for 2 months now, and I am nt sure if the wind/ibs is a side effect of them, my GP said it could be.

Thanks for your replies.
    Jessica,

I was not prescribed lansoprazole, although i have had them before, i was prescribed two types of antibiotics, i suffer from anxiety and every now and then i convince myself its something far more than the IBS which my doctor keeps telling me and i should believe him.. The only diffrence is i believe people with IBS have bouts were symptoms come and go, whilst mine are constant, cramps, gurgling, churning, loose motions/diaorrhea..

Take Care

Dan

The lower end is called a colonoscopy. They give you a really really strong laxative which clears you out, you won't be able to leave the house the day before the colonoscopy as you will be on the loo literally every 10 mins (I know someone who had one and they said the prep treatment was worse than the colonoscopy). The colonoscopy then goes into your bum while you are awake and goes around your bowel. It can see if you have an inflamed or infected areas.

I honestly don't think you need it though, it sounds like classic IBS with maybe some side effects from the lansprazole. The main side effect from that is excess gas (I get it with the Omeprazole and I'm only on 10mg a day)

Thread Information