Thread: Worried about father

Worried about father

This might sound unusual, but when I wait to use the toilet in my house now I am back home with my parents for the holiday, I sit in a room right next to the toilet and can inevitably hear other people in there.

A couple of days ago my dad mentioned he was peeing more than normal, but then his dose of diuretics has recently been doubled. I noticed just now and again yesterday when I was waiting to pee that he doesn't pee in one continuous stream, but stops and starts as if he has to force it.

I know this is a symptoms of many conditions, only one or two serious, but he is 50+ and obviously being on this forum, I am prone to worrying.

Is this normal for men of his age? Could difficulty peeing be caused by diuretics?

If it was eg. prostate cancer, would there necessarily be blood or anything else in the urine if it was also causing difficulty to pee? I saw that there was nothing in it when I went to go myself.

Not sure whether to mention it to him or not..

Re: Worried about father

I would mention it to him any way , the diuretics will make him go more , however the stopping and starting could suggest an obstruction to the outflow which MAY be an enlarged prostrate. Is he getting up through the night ? There's no harm in voicing your concerns....

Sometimes this also happens due to narrowing of the urethra ..Its not serious and can be rectified ..At 50 .its a quite common complaint ..A lot of men even younger get a slightly enlarged prostate ..Its also not serious unless it causes major probs .The diretic s do and will cause your Dad to pee more as Paige says ..There are tests that measure urine flow ,if it becomes too much of a problem .His DR will refer him if he goes and tells him about it ..Sue

i shouldnt worry to much-he could be doing it himself (the stopping & starting i mean) men are able to do this with ease & we had a neighbour who,s husband through habit always did it - she was always moaning that it took him ages to pee while she was crossing her legs waiting to use the loo-

Thread Information