Thread: stomach/esophageal cancer

Unhappy stomach/esophageal cancer

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boards but have been suffering from health anxiety for over 3 years. At the moment I am really scared I have stomach or esophageal cancer. I have had trouble swallowing for couple of years and had it checked out by way of barium swallow about 1.5 years ago and they found nothing but they never did an endoscopy. I have recently (last 2months) started getting bad reflux, heart burn and also pains just below the left side of my ribcage. I have a referral to a gastro doc but they haven't sent me an appointment time yet. I'm so worried I have made my self sick (vomiting, diarrhea, virtually no sleep last few nights and constant panic). Please give me some advice. Im 25 by the way.

Red.

Re: stomach/esophageal cancer

I went through the same worries. You have to realise that at your age you're far more likely to get killed by a shark than by stomach cancer.

I agree with skippy. At your age its very unlikely. My father in law had stomach cancer & he was late 50's. I dont think ive ever heard of someone your age having it. He had some quite nasty symptoms.
    Its way more likely to be a pulled muscle or something that can be sorted.
    Let us know how you get on with your tests.

xx

Red, if you had esophagael cancer you would not be able to swallow bread for example. Both cancers are uncommon in under 50s though I understand your fears. Asked for Lansoporazle (losac) and I am sure this will clear your reflux. Good luck

I have a hiatus hernia which causes awful heartburn and have been on medication for 15 yrs to control it. I too was worried about oesphageal cancer about 5 yrs ago and saw GI Dr who told me that he had never come across anyone under 50 with this cancer as it takes many years to develop and in most cases the person drinks alcohol and smokes as well.
    I had the gastroscopy and all was well apart from hiatus hernia. I had this test repeated recently and again only the hiatus hernia.

I worked with someone who got stomach cancer and they were very sick literally and it looked like coffee grounds - he was once very sick in the office and we called an ambulance - he had lost huge amount of weight and had stopped eating before he started being sick and he was in his early 60's and again was a drinker and smoker.

If you had a normal barium swallow year and half ago then you should be okay. If it helps you then ask for a gastroscopy but not something I would do for fun!

Thanks for your advice guys. I know it's irrational to worry about stomach cancer at my age, especially since I neither drink nor smoke, but that does not stop me. Even if I do get an endoscopy I will just find something else too stress about

Red.

Hi OP,

Now you say that you have had problems swallowing for two years, well to be blunt IF it had been stomach cancer causing it, then to be honest you would not be here to post, stomach cancer without treatment does not hang around.

As for the acid reflux I expect it is just that and the anxiety is adding to it.

If you are like a lot of people who have HA then until you get the upper GI scope then you will worry yourself sick. Get your appointment and test asap not because I think for one moment that you have cancer BUT if you keep worrying you will do more harm and your poor stomach will suffer long term, good luck,

Peter

Thread Information