Thread: CBT starts tomorrow

CBT starts tomorrow

My second course of CBT begins tomorrow morning, and I'm a little apprehensive. It worked last time round (to an extent) and gave me the help I needed to find my feet again. The therapist was good - no flannel approach just well humoured support!

I've spoken to the therapist who will be taking me this time round on the phone and she seems a little sterotypical, you know, sympathetic and a bit mamby pamby. I am desperately hoping that this is just her telephone manner, as I just can't relate to "over-caring" people. I know this sounds harsh, but I respond better to a kick up the arse approach.

Wish me luck

Nic

Re: CBT starts tomorrow

Read the research of The Pfeiffer Research Institute about pyroluria, histadellia, histapenia and copper overload. Perhaps the cause of your probs is physical rather than psychological. lol

That's quite a list! I think I'd be a much better patient if it were physical - I'd rather go under the knife than talking therapies . I was sceptical befoe I became ill, and the first counsellor I went to see backed up my worst fears! The last therapist was great so my confidence was restored, that is, until now. She rang up twice within the space of a few hours to confirm our appointment - she is obviously concerned about my memory lol

I have leart that you have to do your own research, the experts dont have a huge success rate.

hi nic ,
    good luck with this .. how did it go?
    tc .. andrew

Hello, I hope it went alright for you?? CBT is really useful, I'm just going through a course with my support worker.

Have you any good books to help you out?? Mind Over Mood is excellent

Well, I slept in for my appointment (I had only had about 12 hours sleep ). Anyway the appointment was rearranged and it went ok. My worries about the counsellor were pretty much well founded, so I'm very sceptical still. She's very "sympathetic" rather than pragmatic, which I think is more productive. She asked to video the session for training which I wasn't comfortable with so told her no. She comes from a counselling background and I think that approach is simply not suitable for me. My next appointment is in just over a week.

Nic

Hi Nic,

Good luck with the counselling. Unlucky that you didnt get the kinda counsellor you were hoping for. Have you considered telling her what you want or think is best, she is there to try and help you out.

Take care .. andrew

The biggest problem is that she is not a therapist, she is a counsellor who has just begun training in CBT. I feel as though I am helping her rather than the other way around. My phobias are getting worse and I feel that they are too ingrained to move on. Despite me giving her a full history both on the phone pre session, and during my first session, she decided that I fit more with agoraphobia than with panic disorder. I had to explain that the diagnosis was panic disorder WITH associated agoraphobia.

I'm seeing my GP next week as part of an asthma checkup, and am thinking about telling him that I need a referral to a psychotherapist or psychiatrist. I'm not sure what the referral criteria is for such a referral on the NHS but I do know that I need professional help if I am ever going to get better.

Hi Nic,

The counselling situation doesn't sound too good and if you've no belief its going to help then talk to your GP again. I dont know anything about referral criteria.

I have taken the private route a couple of times. Both times I was working but short of money and both counsellors saw me for a reduced fee. And on both occassions they were the first ones I asked. It might be worth thinking about because everybody seems to wait ages for the NHS.

Dont lose hope, keep looking, keep trying. You take care .. andrew

Thread Information