Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phobia of thunder and lightening

Phobia of thunder and lightening

My house when I was a very young child was struck by lightening in a bad thunder and lightening storm. It was horrible. It burnt the wallls, there was smoke in the house. it belw the sockets and the tv and computer and did lots more damage includeing destroying the ariel big time. Since then I have had a really bad phobia of thunder and lightening and alot of people that know about my phobia laugh at me. What can I do.

Re: Phobia of thunder and lightening

Heya Danielle,

That sounds like a horrible experience, no wonder you developed a bit of a phobia, especially since you were so young when it happened. I think the best thing you can do is remember that noone was injured when it did happen to you, and that it's actually pretty rare for a house or person to be struck by lightening. And even if your house is struck by lightening you'll generally be pretty safe because you're inside it Another way you can work on this is to tun off big electrical devices during a storm just to reassure yourself that there isn't a lot of electricity going through your house

My mum had a fear of thunder and lightening and she would cover up the mirror, open up the front door and the back door and sit on the stairs. (she reckoned by doing that the lightening would come in the house the front way and go out the back way)
    I used to laugh at her. There was nothing more that I enjoyed was a good thunderstorm.
    Then one day lightening struck 2 houses across from my mum. I was 16 at the time and it freaked me out what damage it could do.
    No wonder you are so scared after what happened to you.
    Ive got a friend who was on a plane and lightening struck the plane. They had to emergency land at an airforce base in Germany.
    Its taken many years but she can now fly again.
    Hopefully soon youl feel less fear.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

It wasn't just my house that got struck all though my house was hit worse than the others all the houses on my street were hit but not as bad as mine.

As the saying goes "Lightning never strikes in the same place, twice!"

But have you moved house since then?

Even so, I still reckon it couldn't happen to you again.

My aunt got struck by lightning on her farm years ago, it burnt her eyebrows off but she survived because...she was wearin wellies!

True story!

Quote Originally Posted by Onwards & Upwards View Post
    As the saying goes "Lightning never strikes in the same place, twice!"

But have you moved house since then?

Even so, I still reckon it couldn't happen to you again.

My aunt got struck by lightning on her farm years ago, it burnt her eyebrows off but she survived because...she was wearin wellies!

True story!
    I've moved house countles times since then.

Hi i have been frightened of thunder and lightning most of my life or since i can remember ... i was very small and i saw a house struck by lightning ..so i can really relate to how you feel when a thunderstorm is coming i sweat my stomach just churns and churns .. i used to run round like a headless chicken and not know what to do at my other house i had a cupboard that i would hide in but at this house i dont have many hiding places so i have to sit it out .. OK to what i do first i panic then i try to talk to myself calmly i then put my headphones on and listen to the loudest music i have around ...

The other day i was told to listen to a cd of thunderstorms by listening to them it desentises you to the fear but i have to admit i havent conquered it yet ..

I do understand if your house was struck by lightning your fear you have and i do sympathise i get annoyed at folks who say to me oh i love a storm i stand at the window and watch it YEA RIGHT ... the spring and summer are coming now so i shall be on weather watch for the next few months and dreading it when the weatherman says it is going to thunder i check the weather so often i go demented with it all i assure you ..

So know you are not alone on this one and it is a huge phobia for many folks i wished i could say there was a cure but i think its just hoping and praying that the storm will not to be too bad and that the time passes quickly and it will be gone away ...

The one really bad thing i hate are night storms then i really do get in a huge panic cause you cant see what is happening and when they are moving away .. the next morning i feel as though i have done ten rounds in a boxing ring ....... lets us hope we dont have too many this year IM PRAYING !!!!!

im the same as caz ive been scared of thunder since i was at primary school my mum also was scared of this. i get the same feelings caz does i watch the rain radar on the meto.gov.uk site to track the storms and when it comes i just do some djin with the headphones on. the most annoying bit of being scared is waiting for the storm to happen sometimes it can waste your day as i cant go out. forcast for 2morrow is thunder so not looking forward to that! i wish i was deaf somtimes...

thats terrible, personally I enjoy the experience, cant imagine disliking it :(, but think on this; you know where your phobia orginates from, and i think many therapists might say thats a good start to conquering it!

Dan

yeah ive been gettin a bit better myself as i thought psychologists did not help me. i still listen to headphones but ive tryed to watch it from my window as before i sat with a cover up at the window and got drunk. but drink makes u worse. i also had the theropy in which they play thunder noises to you. but also this did not work as i watch storm programs and love them its just the real thing that scares me. i dunno why it scares me its only a sonic boom of the air expanding. its weird and has controlled my life for many years and ive not been able to live how i want as i cannot get a job too far away incase it thunders as i dont drive and how am i going to take my daughter to school in the future if i cannot go out or even go somehow warm on holiday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information