Thread: Post Nasal Drip

Post Nasal Drip

A colleague of mine is a social smoker, smoking weekends and a few each evening. She has given up totally now and is complaining that she keeps getting a dripping from the nose into her throat which is clear and keeps having to clear her throat. I have told her that I reckon that this is due to her quitting smoking and that her sinus` are clearing, though she disagrees as she says that she only smokes at weekends when out with friends and max of 2 or 3 each evening, never during the daytime and as so should not experience any withdrawal effects. Over to you guys, am I right?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Post Nasal Drip

Yes, you could be right, but there are other reasons/causes for post-nasal drip too so it's hard to pin-point exactly.

However, when a lifestyle change coincides with a reaction or new symptom then it's likely to be the cause.

So I'd be inclined to agree with you re the smoking cessation link.

Never Surrender, Comrade

She believes that it`s the beginning of a cold or an allergy - hayfever etc, as this has been coming on and off for 2 - 3 weeks, around about the time that she quit. I reckon she will probably have another week or so then start to see an improvement as her sinus` etc must be clearing the muck out, even that she was a light / social smoker.

Hey there -

Another overlooked cause of post-nasal drip is hormones - it's a side effect of birth control pills, and of a fluctuant estrogen level.

It could be anything. I get it in the mornings after sleeping - I'm allergic to the dust mites that call my favourite pillow 'home'. Some foods can cause it, temperature can cause it. Even acid reflux! Anything.

Thread Information