Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks while driving

Panic attacks while driving

Hi everyone,
    I am a new member and I would be so interested to hear of anything that helps when I get a panic attack while I am driving.
    At the moment I avoid motorways completely, can't stand the feeling of not being able to get off or stop so a simple journey takes me hours.
    I am driving with my parents onMonday a long journey so any help would be so welcome.
    BTW I have had CBT and got the relaxation CDs, and they help with my everyday life, but the driving is still causing me endless anxiety!
    Many thanks
    Izzab

Hi Izza

Lovely to see you here so welcome aboard the forum.

I could have written this post myself!

It is good to see someone else with the same problem that I have and have had for many years so I may be able to help.

My main problem is any road I can't easily get off, dual-carriageways with no hard shoulder,road works, contra-flows, traffic jams etc etc.

I learned many coping techniques - see them on this page - How to cope with Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD under the Distraction heading.

I also use the Rescue Remedy spray and that really helps. Have you heard of that? Loud music playing distracts me.

However, after coping with it and doing it, I hate it and want to be cured not just cope.

I have just started back with CBT so you may want to follow my thread on that to see what I am taught. The post is at ....
    CBT therapy for driving problems - my diary

I will be updating it each week as I have only had one session so far.

The long and short of it is to change those thoughts you get whilst driving. I am not sure how I do this yet, I will be seeing her again on Friday for some tips. Basically you have to do it over and over and over and in time you realise that it won't kill you, you won't die, nothing bad will happen etc.

So you may want to follow my progress as I have had this for a long time so it will be hard to "cure" me and I know it is not going to be easy but I am determined to try it.

Hope that helps.

Nicola

Hi Izzab, I would just like to say welcome and you will get lots of useful advice here. I dont suffer with problems with driving, but saying that I would never drive anywhere I didnt know, I do have trouble being a passenger though.
    Good luck, take care.xxxxx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
    and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

Hi,
    Many thanks for your quick reply. I looked at your links and they were great, I loved the supermarket thing, I used to suffer too but thankfully have managed to overcome that.
    When I had my CBT she really made me think about where the driving thing had come from and it really brought it all back, which didn't turn out to be the best thing for me!

I read somewhere on the net about a man who takes people who have this problem out in the car and basically talks you through the fear/panic. He must be brave - but maybe it works?
    I have heard of the rescue remedy but I haven't tried it yet, I tend to take a couple of Kalms and just get on with it - but when I am in the car on the motorway or dual carriageway its almost like a feeling of claustrophohia mixed with vertigo, not too good.

Anyway, I will be following your posts on the CBT with great interest and wish you luck - your problem sounds exactly the same as mine.
    regards
    izzab.

Izza

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">its almost like a feeling of claustrophohia</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    That is exactly how I would describe it and I said this to the CBT lady.

I feel like I want to get off! She asked me why and I said I didn't really know but I just hated being stuck.

I hope you can overcome your fears too.

I need someone like you describe that actually comes with me rather than tells me what to do but we shall see how it goes.

I wish you well too.

Nicola

Hi

I get panics when I drive.

My distraction is singing along to my music out loud.

The other distraction is polo mints. By the end of a long journey I have gone through lots of packets but it gets me through to my destination.

You will be fine

Sglod

sglod - are you the same as me though and want to cure rather than cope?

Nicola

You and Nic are not alone with this fear.

Hi new member mom w/ panic and dp/dr
    Driving
    driving phobia
    Hi, I am new and need re-assurance
    Panic - When driving

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Re: Panic attacks while driving

Hey everyone, I felt I was alone with these panic attacks but it is great to have others that are going through the same thing. My life has become unbearable, I can't drive long distances and avoid freeways. It is getting worse and I feel like I am going to lose control and drive off the road. I used to go to church but now find myself making excuses because of the large crowds and when I do go I always have to sit in the back row as I fear people are looking at me and when there is communion I panic as I can't hold the little cup as I shake too much. I am having a terrible time and feel like a prisoner in my own home, basing my days around my anxiety. Anyone have any comments or ideas as I can't do the things I used to love doing.

Re: Panic attacks while driving

I used to get terrible PA's whilst driving a few years ago. However, mines were more to do with being alone and having time to think (my dad had just died and we had just nursed him), than the actual driving itself.
    A coping strategy for me was to listen to audio books. I found that they made me lend enough of my concentration to them, to stop me thinking too much but left me enough to get on with the driving.

Happyone

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information