Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks while driving

Re: Panic attacks while driving

I will contact you through the private message sevice to respect privacy, as with any suggested treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by BasilCat View Post
    Hi Phobia Man, What is your technique then? I had panic/anxiety attacks in the car almost 3 years ago and it took me the best part of a year to get back in the car again, let alone drive one. Now,after starting off with 1/4 mile drives, then 2 miles, then 4, then 10, I finally managed to drive the 120 mile round trip to my parents with my husband at my side. Now I am wondering if I dare do this on my own or not. Perhaps your technique can help? Thanks. Shirley

I am so pleased to have found this forum. I thought I was alone in the motorway driving fear. I have been driving for over 20 years and used to do 90 miles a day on motorways to work and back. I had post natal depression ten years ago and that was when the motorway panic set in. I have taken St Johns Wort for several years and thought I had sorted the problem. I am also a bad passenger with the OH who is a fast driver, and usually take Kalms if I am going in the car with him.

Normally I work out my route avoiding motorways altogether. But today I needed to do about 15 miles on the motorway and while I was happily travelling along at 70 suddenly my eyes went wrong and I thought I was going to pass out. All I could see was the hard shoulder and no sign of any approaching slip roads. I opened the window and started to take deep breaths. Then my arms and legs started to shake and my chest was pounding. As soon as I reached the next slip road, which was the one I needed, I was absolutely fine. I had slowed down to 50mph and was having a battle in my head because by slowing down it would take me longer to reach the turn off.

I am a confident person and quite a positive driver on local roads. I am so confused about why I have this problem with motorways but it is such a relief to know I am not the only one.

Hi!

I suffer PAs when driving if I am trapped on a bit of road, particularly hate motorways, dual carriageways..they trigger crazy thoughts: I think I will jump out of my car and run away to freedom, or I will just stick the hazards on and get out.....I don't have any reason for feeling/thinking like this at all!

Like another post here I carry mints and always make sure I have at least 2 bottles of mineral water with me, I find these two things help me. In fact I don't go anywhere without a bottle of water (suffer alot of anxiety). If I don't have a bottle of water on me then you can guarantee a PA!!! Oh what fun!?!

I get PA whilst driving to! i avoid situations, even if its driving to the d=town, I remember once i was just in the middle of town, and all of a sudden i went dizzy out from nowhere, felt the car was rocking, i felt i was going to die,

I didnt know what to do, i just continued to drive with all the windows right down, When i had reached my destination i got out of the car and i couldnt walk i was so poorly i was dizzy and i had a major panic,

My PA have no warning they just happen its so scary,

Hugs to you all i know its really not nice to suffer xxxx

My car is littered with empty water bottles - I also never leave home without my bottle of water.

I've been driving for 18 years, used to go all over the country. Was happy with minimal directions from dad when going to collect auction purchases etc, never worried about getting lost or anything. My limit now varies between 4-8 miles. And I am a whole lot worse if someone is in the car with me. I NEVER go passenger, or go on buses or trains or boats. My world has shrunk considerably in the last few years.

So many of us with this horrible 'thing'. Mine started when we lived in rural Ireland, narrow country roads and being 'tailgated' by some moron or other, no room for them to overtake, I was constantly looking in my rear view mirror, it was like a horror movie, being chased. I had so much adrenaline I nearly went off the road into a corn field at speed, no kidding.

From then on I started a system of avoidances, going a different route etc.
    Now we live in France with different challenges, driving on the right, busier roads and more roundabouts, traffic lights etc. I don't have to drive here, but not to is so limiting. Taking baby steps to get myself going again. I used to love to drive, so am determined to try . The worst of it is we have a Renault Clio which gives me a static shock sometimes when I touch the door handle. Talk about aversion therapy!

Good luck to all struggling with this.

I can't believe I'm not alone! I always feel like such a freak when I start shaking uncontrollably whilst driving and begin to feel as though I will pass out. I too like some of the others who posted here survive on mints and water to get me through - that and winding the windows down. I'm usually fine if its a route I am familiar with - I avoid all roads I have never driven on before and even then it still strikes for no reason. Sometimes I just feel so inadequate I want to cry.

Hi..
    Because of my panic and anxiety I cannot drive at all...I am too afraid.
    I rely on my husband to get me to and from work or anywhere else thats requires driving which is pretty much everywhere considering I live in upstate NY and there is no public transportation.

The sad thing is that we just bought a 2nd car for me to use, I got my permit but still havent driven....

This is something I need to work on soon, I think it is starting to annoy my hubby that without him im "Stuck"

two more of us already, I can't believe this is so common. OH pressuring me too...'What if I sprain my ankle, break arm etc.?' Thing is I used to actually volunteer to drive. Those were the days! Going to try rescue remedy and start off on short trips. Good luck to all of you struggling with this.

Hi everyone. I too suffer from panic whilst driving. Used to totally avoid motorways and long distance driving. Every day to get to work I have to go on the motorway for one junction (about 2 to 3 miles or so) and I think it's helped me - maybe a bit like I imagine CBT does - by doing small distances first and then building up.

I still feel rubbish when I know I have to get on motorways though and it's as if the sight of the blue signs near motorways make me feel funny! However, I think I'm learning to cope better - oddly enough I don't have many problems driving at night or later in the day when I'm tired after work.

I remember my driving lessons being horrible at times. I could literally feel the sweat dripping off me at times as I used to fret so much, even on roads which I would now find easy to drive!

The only other point is I had a car crash aged 10 when a private hire taxi jumped a red light and smashed into our car at about 25-30mph. I was looking down at something and didn't expect it. Got upset about it so maybe my fear stems from that?

Anyway, good luck to us all on here with conquering our fears of driving!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information