Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You Can Be Your "Old Self" (If You Want!!!)

You Can Be Your "Old Self" (If You Want!!!)

I wasn't going to post this but I changed my mind........and Piglet wanted to tease me anyway apparently, so here goes.

Firstly, the reason that I wasn't going to post it is because I didn't want to p**s anybody off if they're not going through a good time at the moment. But then I remembered what I was like a year ago. I was in a mess and desperate to hear anybody's story that showed you could overcome things and go back to your "old self" and do the things you used to do before "it" struck.

So, rewind to 12 months ago last week and I was in a right mess. Couldn't feed myself. Had a solid week of no sleep. All the great symptoms......chest pains, constant dizziness, agoraphobia setting in, palps, ectopics, etc, etc, etc. You all know the score, it's nothing new.

Fast forward to last week when I went skiing (I know, again. But life's too short and you can get some really cheap deals if you book late!). Anyway, had a fantastic time. Skiing everyday, drinking every night with a few very late ones thrown in. Met loads of new people in the hotel. Decided to do a helicopter ride over the mountains coz it was quite cheap and the weather was gorgeous. I decided it was a once in a lifetime chance so I went for it.
    We had flight delays, long coach transfers, a 4.30am wake up call for return journey after drinking wine all night until past midnight. In short, loads of opportunity to panic or slip back but it never arrived.

Basically, I just wanted to post this to maybe help just one person coming on here for the first time. To show that you can get back to your "old self" if you want to. Although now I've been back there I think I'm happier with my "new self" anyway!! [^]

Hope I haven't p*ssed anyone off.....it's not meant in that way at all. It's just that I've seen loads of posts on here from people saying that they never hear of people getting back to their "old" selves so I wanted to redress the balance. Maybe the reason you don't hear of it is that most people, once "cured", don't want to ever come back to it and so as soon as they feel ok will try and forget it all as quickly as possible. Who knows?

Cheers,
    Trev

thats brill trev and thanks for the post u did for me... im sure you havent p****d anyone off i love reading the success stories it has helped me to get where i am and hope fully going further.. all the best

hugs emmy xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Trev,

Well done on your skiing and all you did on hols. I dont think theres any reason that should piss people off. Same as post before mine i like reading success stories, it helps me too and motivates me, i think well if they can do it, I can do it too. And with that attitude I have managed to progress at a steady rate for the last few weeks. Again well done, thanks for all your help and I hope you carry on doing lots of things like the old self did. Sus, xx

Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.
    Ralph Blum

Well done honey - I love stories like that and I promise not to tease you if you promise to do something about your dress sense.

Biggest well done

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Well done Trev, that's a great story and you have come a long way and done so well.
    I don't think posting will upset anyone. I can understand on occasions success stories can depress people, at my worst I didn't read them as I used to think it seemed like everyone else was moving on and getting better except me, but now I find them inspiring.
    I first had panic attacks in May 2003, I had one very acute week and then some general anxiety on and off for a couple of months after that. I had some CBT and by August 2003 I was back to my old self. I stayed anxiety free mostly until May 2005. Since July 2005 I have been having more problems on and off and it's taking longer this time but as I've done it before I know it's possible to recover. Some people will get over anxiety never to have it again and some will have the odd blips but it can be overcome in time. I think your post will give hope to alot of people so thanks for sharing your story

Lisa x

I too like to read 'Success Stories' It gives me hope. What I would like to know was there one thing that got you where you are to-day. Or was it lots of different things. I know it is down to hard work and I am getting there to a certain degree. I know there comes a time when you have to stop looking for a cure and start doing instead, it you see what I mean. I have spent £££££££s searching as I am sure many other have. If you could tell us the 'something' that just clicked with you (if that is possible) I would love to hear it.
    Congratulations for where you have got to-day. I think it is great !!!

Jenny xxxxx

I'm glad you've achieved so much Trev. I think we all get to a turning point in our life & I'm hoping that one morning i'll wake up & it will all be over. I'm a lot further on than i was 12 months ago, but not over it yet. I've been thinking about your dress sense Trev, people see to take the mickey!! I've got visions of corduroys & val doonican jumpers haha!! Les

Fashion sense?

He's a Londoner, Ive got visions of a man with a gold chain, leather jacket, selling fruit.

I've seen him twice now and neither time did he look like Val ..

I shall report back next time in detail.

Trev - you have done brilliantly and I can't wait to see the report back from your next trip

Lesley- wish that did happen, but its a lot more subtle than that

Meg xx

Well done Trev. Great that you've made such progress and are now feeling so much better.

It is good to read success stories because it gives those of us still struggling hope.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information