Thread: OCD- so I probably have it

OCD- so I probably have it

My issue is the irrational belief that my thoughts can harm people....I think about destroying people's souls and that they're going to die....and that it'll happen because I thought it. It was recently proven to me that my thought about destroying souls didn't do anything.....but I'm stuck trying to prove to myself that all my thoughts are just as powerless......
    Does anyone else think that their thoughts can cause harm? How do you cope?

Re: OCD- so I probably have it

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel, I am forever trying to prove to myself that I am not a bad person and wont harm children. I know logically I don't want to but the ocd keeps changing and coming at me from different angles. It is awful isn't it? No matter how much we prove it, it will keep going around our heads! I don't necessarily think my thoughts cause harm, I just have the belief that if I think it,it must be what I am or want?! Or it will happen even though I don't want it to. To be honest im not coping well but I am currently taking anti depressants, I have been referred for counselling and also I have this site. It helps alot on here because everyone is very supportive.

Laura x

I've just started on cipralex....I'm stuck on the idea I've destroyed people's souls....bizarre, I know......and all the evidence to the contrary gets shoved to the side......it's a struggle at the minute......

Yes I think that is normal for those of us with ocd. Please try and get some help before it goes too far and you start really believing it like I do.It has ruined my life for the past 3 months and i'd hate it to do the same to you.Nip it in the bud before it gets worse!
    x

we tend to fall into thinking our thoughts are "true" - i remember a counsellor saying to me "i could think I AM A POPSTAR but in reality i am not - and the evidence to back that up is that i am not famous, i don't have a record out, i don;t even play an instrument! if thoughts worked like this - i could think - right - i am going to win a million pounds but my thought does not make it happen lol. basically - an obsession is only a thought that hits you at a time when your mind is impressionable and sticks there. try to go with it - think all your like about stealing people's souls - when you get bored of it and find it does not "scare" you any more - it will lift x

The beliefs are getting more and more bizarre....that being near people will cause them to be harmed.....things like that....and I can't stop obsessing.....I just started taking cipralex....the beliefs are spiralling out of control....I managed to reassure myself about thinking things, but now I'm worried about a similar but different aspect.....It just won't stop.

Thread Information