Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Colposcopy

2nd Colposcopy

Hi, I am having to go for a second colposcopy in May and I am really worried. I had my first one in November 2009 because my smear test (which I had to fight to get because I was just 24, even though I had explained to doctors that I bled everytime I had intercourse) showed abnormal cells, which turned out to be the most severe cell changes CIN3, which I completey freaked out about. After the colposcopy I was told that my smears would return to normal and I would have to have another smear in 6 months. I have been for a smear since because something wasn't right still, and again it showed abnormal cells and I am even more worried now as I have read more about abnormal cells and I am really scared that I have the beginnings of cancer. Firstly, has anyone had CIN3 and had colposcopy to return it to normal? If so, how long ago and are your smears back to normal? What are the chances of this developing into cancer? And can the cells sometimes be missed after having a colposcopy so it is quite common to go back for a 2nd? I have also read somewhere that if after the 3rd colposcopic treatment it still hasn't improved, then they consider carrying out a hysterctomy. I am really worried and would like to hear from others who have been through this just to put my mind at rest that things will be ok x

Re: 2nd Colposcopy

I just replied to another post about abnormal cells. But to make a long story short about 5 years ago (I was around 23) I had abnormal cells on a pap test, they did a colposcopy, they then did a biopsy and told me it was severe dysplasia and explained it was the stage just before cancer so of course I freaked out thinking that meant I had cancer. However they did a LEEP procedure to remove the cells and I had colposcopy every 6 months (until I got pregnant) and after that I've had a pap test once a year and not another problem since. Did they remove the cells they found during your test?

hi thought i would send you a message of support because i have just found out on friday following a recent smear test that i have the severe cell changes (im 29), got an appointment for the coloscopy a week tomorrow.
    I know i shouldnt have but i googled it for a bit of research and i read a few womens stories that they needed treatment twice before getting rid of all the bad cells. Did you have treatment at the time because i also read that they can perform different procedures so maybe they would try one of those next time. I also read on lots of different sites that it takes 10 plus years for severe cell changes to turn into cancer and that they are not always pre cancerous cells anyway.
    Im up and down with my worrying at the moment, one min im quite positive and the next im frightened, but i guess thats normal.
    Anyway please keep in touch and let me know how you get on, im sure everything will be fine for the both of us. feel free to message me anytime
    mary

In response to Icysmooth:
    I just replied to another post about abnormal cells. But to make a long story short about 5 years ago (I was around 23) I had abnormal cells on a pap test, they did a colposcopy, they then did a biopsy and told me it was severe dysplasia and explained it was the stage just before cancer so of course I freaked out thinking that meant I had cancer. However they did a LEEP procedure to remove the cells and I had colposcopy every 6 months (until I got pregnant) and after that I've had a pap test once a year and not another problem since. Did they remove the cells they found during your test?

Thank you for your response, my mind is starting to be put to rest now. Yes at the colposcopy they did the procedure which burns the cells away, I can't remember what that was called, and they did the biopsy which came back negative. I am just really worried as I have to go back again and it was only a few months ago, but I am hoping that things will be ok after my next colposcopy and that like you it will just take a few goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah1985 View Post
    In response to Icysmooth:

Thank you for your response, my mind is starting to be put to rest now. Yes at the colposcopy they did the procedure which burns the cells away, I can't remember what that was called, and they did the biopsy which came back negative. I am just really worried as I have to go back again and it was only a few months ago, but I am hoping that things will be ok after my next colposcopy and that like you it will just take a few goes.

Loop diathery treatment?
    The Colposcopy is just the camera really, I had to have it twice, but it was an arror on the consultants part, reassuring huh! lol She did the wrong section the first time. But it was no problem. It was sorted in time.
    I had normal pap tests every year after that for the last 18/19 years, due to have another next week. Eeeek.
    x

Dear Hannah,
    I had a similar thing happen to me when I was about 22/23, I am 28 now. I had an abnormal smear, and then a second so was sent for colposcopy. I had cold coagulation and smears every three months then six etc. My smears did not return to normal for the first couple and then they did. Please do not worry as you are being monitored and nothing is going to suddenly get out of control. I know it is hard I am very scared of cervical cancer. I also have a friend who has recently be diagnosed and is due to have a radical hysterectomy and radiotherapy. She is only 30 but has been ignoring going for a smear test for many years and has symptoms which she ignored for a long time. You have done all the right things and will be fine

x

Oh and I did have CIN 3 X

Quote Originally Posted by Trying View Post
    Dear Hannah,
    I had a similar thing happen to me when I was about 22/23, I am 28 now. I had an abnormal smear, and then a second so was sent for colposcopy. I had cold coagulation and smears every three months then six etc. My smears did not return to normal for the first couple and then they did. Please do not worry as you are being monitored and nothing is going to suddenly get out of control. I know it is hard I am very scared of cervical cancer. I also have a friend who has recently be diagnosed and is due to have a radical hysterectomy and radiotherapy. She is only 30 but has been ignoring going for a smear test for many years and has symptoms which she ignored for a long time. You have done all the right things and will be fine

x
    Can I ask what symptoms your friend ignored!? I'm hoping when things do go wrong it's pretty obvious and not just a little bit of pain now and then!?!?!?

Sure, I did not add that bit to scare people but just to try to reassure that it is indeed very slow growing and also very treatable in the early stages. My friend in fact has a very good prognosis as well. From what she has told me , she has not had a proper smear for about 7 years. A couple of times they came back as insufficient cells and she never returned. ( that doesn't really happen anymore due to the new brush they use to scrape). She said she has had very dodgy discharge and very irregular bleeding. Thats at least for the last year. I know that bleeding after sex is another very good indicator ( but can also be due to cervical erosions which are basically harmless ). If you have dodgy bleeding etc and are taking contraceptives esp. injection, coil, implant etc, and are up to date on smears it is more likely to be hormonal. Also if you have always had irregular periods. I have had this problem for the last couple of years due to contraceptives. But my last smear was clear and the doctors insist its the contraceptives. I also made one look at my cervix and was told if cancer has developed past 4cm it is visable to the human eye. I still worry a bit but basically Jade Goody has scared the life out of everyone. Her situation is very rare. And my friend thinks hers has been lurking for years, who knows how long. The important thing is to go for smears and report new symptoms. Hope that helps x

Also my friend has just been bloody unlucky !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information