Thread: zoloft (sertraline)

zoloft (sertraline)

I have to start taking this med today. I am very afraid of medicine and I have tried Celexa for two days and Paxil for one day, and then I get scared because I get panicky and stop taking them. My present doctor wants me to try Zoloft, along with taking the Ativan to relax me enough to take the medicine. Any words of help? I have lost so much weight.

Re: zoloft (sertraline)

Hi jothenurse,
    I have been taking sertraline/zoloft for over two years now for anxiety/depression, and on the whole I would say it has been a great benefit to me, though it does need about a month before you start noticing real benefits. I can understand your fear in taking medication, I have never been a huge fan of pills for various reasons, but I needed something at the time. Have you ever tried meditation or breathing exercises to help you to relax? I can recommend some if you like?

If you do start taking it, then I hope it does you as much good as it has done me.

I started it today and am taking Ativan to try to relax about taking it. Did it give you an upset stomach or anything?

I've been on sertraline about 4 times, for 1-2 years at a time. To get any benefit from them you must keep taking them - you should start to feel a difference after a couple of weeks to a month.

I didn't have any stomach problems, I just put on weight (NOT what I wanted, but never mind!)

Good luck with them, I too hope they help you like they've helped me in the past.

I've had dried heaves and diarrhea. They sides effects do include gastrointestinal problems. I just can't afford to lose any more weight though because I'm down to around 98 pounds. I wonder if the side effects go away?

I only took the Zoloft for one day. Had nausea, diarrhea, and woke up this morning with a headache. I do not want to take them. For some reason, the SSRI's (even though I only have taken them for one to two days) - gives me so much anxiety, that I just don't think it is worth it. I have tried Celexa for two days, Paxil for one day, and now Zoloft for one day. I think Celexa was the worse, but Zoloft really bother my stomach and bowels. The psychiatrist said I could go ahead and just use the Ativan a few times a day to help me settle down. They do make me feel a little space at times, but I am only taking .25 mg (I'm taking a half of the .5). two to three times a day. Has anyone else gone this route before? And also, I take a beta-blocker for my palpitations. I can not lose any more weight, but it is so difficult to eat.

Thread Information