Thread: Done more in past week than i've done in past 5 years!

Done more in past week than i've done in past 5 years!

Feel so proud of myself so please forgive me for just blurting out what I've done this past week.. I'm just feeling so happy right now

Long story short (hopefully..) I moved to supported housing in Weston-Super-Mare last Monday (5th) to receive more help as in my previous place I couldn't even walk down the driveway to put my rubbish out! I barely left my home for almost 3 years and suffered anxiety for 5 years(which caused me to quit college and become agoraphobic) which has also caused depression and insomnia.

Anyway, I was really nervous about moving, especially since it was so far away from my family (i'm only 22) and the first few nights were quite scary getting used to the new noises and meeting new people.

Now I have regular support sessions with my support worker (she's quite young herself and is SOOO nice, and also shares similar interests with me) and she's encouraged me to do so much the past week.

She has such a calming positive effect on me.. which has helped me to go register with a new doctor..and got me to sit in a dentist chair for the first time in 5 years! I've also been inside a supermarket and gone to the counter to pay for something! I've also put in my college application forms for September (hopefully i'll be able to go places on my own by then) and taken a walk around Weston (we even walked 2miles to the dentist..!), and i've signed up to do a food hygiene course with some of the other residents tomorrow and start cooking lessons soon.

I really can't believe i've done all this much since last Monday. I was receiving help from a support worker in the previous accommodation I lived in but still could barely leave my home there.. but because I'm here with other residents my own age, with very experienced support workers who are trained to deal with people who have panic attacks/anxiety, I've felt a lot more comfortable being here than in my previous place. I'm so surprised at myself but also very proud.

If anyone does struggle doing things like going outside/buying their own food/taking care of themselves etc.. because of anxiety and live by themselves then I definitely recommend supported housing, it's helped me so much

Re: Done more in past week than i've done in past 5 years!

Wow-well done!!
    I'm so pleased for you-you have achieved sooo much!!,
    be happy,you deserve to be x

So pleased you are happy in your new home and that your life is getting better.

Veronicax

Well done to you pat on the back xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well done long may it continue

I'm so happy your life is changing for the better. Well done to you. You really deserve it.
    Myra x

Always lovely to hear a sucess story....helps others realise there is light at the end of the tunnel. Well done, really pleased for you, and I hope it continues for you.
    Jo.xx

Thread Information