Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive/constant swallowing and excessive saliva/spitting

Excessive/constant swallowing and excessive saliva/spitting

Hello all. How many of you have excessive/constant swallowing and excess saliva-spitting problems??

-Did you have coughing fits, long and extreme upper respiratory infection or pharyngitis etc. before?
    -Have you got deviated septum and/or sinusitis?
    -Do you have a big adams apple and/or a thin neck?
    -Have you got excess salivation or spitting occurring time to time?
    -Do you have constantly cracked/dry lips?

Re: Excessive/constant swallowing and excessive saliva/spitting

I know that swallowing and also a lot of saliva gets worse if you think about it. I remember when I was a teenager that I went through a stage where I would constantly feeling like I had to spit some out (but part of that was like OCD in thinking I had something in my mouth).

i have experienced a constant flow of saliva a few times - it lasted a few hours and it was horrible - its another anxiety symptom - the less you let it get to you - the quicker it fades x

Do you think there might be some links between some physical disorders/symptoms and excess swallowing or saliva? Or do you think both of them are hundred percent related to mental factors?

-Did you have coughing fits, long and extreme upper respiratory infection or pharyngitis etc. before? -I read somewhere that excessive swallowing or some tics in anxious/nervous people might develop after extreme coughing fits, long and constant upper respiratory infections. (My excessive swallowing indeed showed up after long and extreme coughing fits due to upper respiratory infections and sinusitis. I'd had tight/tense neck symptom at anxious/nervous moments before though but not excess swallowing or saliva.)

-Have you got deviated septum and/or sinusitis? -Maybe having deviated septum, sinusitis or both trigger excessive swallowing or salivation...

-Do you have a big adams apple and/or a thin neck? -Anxious/nervous people with weak, thin neck and with big adams apple might be more prone to develop excessive swallowing or tight/tense neck.

-Have you got excess salivation? - I read somewhere that acid reflux/LPR might trigger excess/constant salivation. On the other hand, perhaps excess swallowing might be causing excess salivations or vice versa...

-Do you have constantly dry/chapped lips? -There is a big chance this may be the result of sinusitis and deviated septum. Just wondering if constant chapped lips may be related to something else on me.

-Have you got acid reflux/LPR? -It's said acid reflux/LPR might cause excess salivation.

I have been suffering this condition. My saliva just wouldn't stop forming, it is like a constant flowing of unwanted saliva.
    I have to swallow it since I can't go to the toilet every time but sadly my throat feels tight I'll swallow the saliva with a big "gulp" sound(some people thinks the "gulp" sound is annoying).
    In my dark times this saliva flowing and swallowing will occur hours even nearly a full day of my awake time so if you knew me by that time, you'll hear me 'gulping' every like 15 seconds for hours.
    I think I've been like this for half a year continuously every day. I just can't take it off my mind!
    As time pass by, it become less frequent but it still happens.
    It's really horrible and I can't control it but I noticed if I do other task and divert my mind from it, it'll disappear. Somehow that depends.

am a 53 years odl man but have a, problem of too much saliva in my mouth when talking i spit on people and people all tiome try to stay away from me and i do notice it it have been a big shame to me and am a guy who love talking but now this problem is giving me great worry so all i need is ,an advice that would stop the saliva when talking

to stop spitting ve too much saliva in my mouth when speaking i spit on people without knowing can some body help me to stop it

this is so annoying. How can i stop it, and does this mean i have ocd? I have always thought i had it due to constantly checking if the doos in the house were locked, washing hands all the time. It isnt constant, but its definitely there

I have suffered having trouble with saliva now and then, with it being excessive and thin, but because I have an anxiety disorder which makes it hard for me to swallow in the first place (even food and drink in the past which I have dealt with) so I find myself on occasion that I am not able to swallow my saliva without difficulty and will have to spit it out which is completely embarrassing, and thats usually when I get it in excess because my mind starts panicking and creating a situation i am not comfortable with, i find that when i eventually calm down or do something that keeps my mind off it that it settles down or goes completely (until I remember it happening) if you think about it, we (most) of us are fine with swallowing in our sleep because its automatic and we are not aware of it. So I don't think that (some of) you guys are experiencing OCD symptoms as such, but more of an anxiety problem or panic disorder, perhaps look more in to it and see a doctor, good luck everyone!

I also have this swallowing obsession too, I've had this before, it lasted for about a week then it went away. This time however it has lasted much longer. I think its due to the fact that I've been obsessing over reading other people's post regarding this obsession. I've been looking up "Swallowing Obsession", "Swallowing Habit" "Constantly Swallowing Saliva all day", etc. I've read over 1000 posts.

If feels like I can't take my mind off that act of swallowing, with saliva or not. I have no problems with swallowing food or drinks. My challenge is, I keep thinking about swallowing all day, which has me swallowing alot and I'm fully aware every time I have to swallow. My doctor knows it's not a medical issue, it's a psychological issue. I believe my Doctor, because in the past I've obsessed with my heart and have a history of HA. I'm now starting to see a psychologist and therapist, I'm trying to avoid meds. I've been taking Magnesium, Vitamin B's and an Asian supplement called "Min-Chex". That combination is working wonders for my anxiety / panic attacks. But I can't seem to get over this swallowing habit.

If only "taking my mind off it" was that easy. Sometimes I tell myself, "it's my God given right to swallow and if I feel like swallowing, I'll swallow." Fear is keeping the obsession alive, so instead of fearing it, accept it. Easier said than done, I'm having trouble accepting it. God willing this will pass. Stay strong!

Does anyone have tips or suggestions for getting over this swallowing obsession?

Your feedback is truly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information