Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excessive/constant swallowing and excessive saliva/spitting

Re: Excessive/constant swallowing and excessive saliva/spitting

Quote Originally Posted by psalm1201 View Post
    I also have this swallowing obsession too, I've had this before, it lasted for about a week then it went away. This time however it has lasted much longer. I think its due to the fact that I've been obsessing over reading other people's post regarding this obsession. I've been looking up "Swallowing Obsession", "Swallowing Habit" "Constantly Swallowing Saliva all day", etc. I've read over 1000 posts.

If feels like I can't take my mind off that act of swallowing, with saliva or not. I have no problems with swallowing food or drinks. My challenge is, I keep thinking about swallowing all day, which has me swallowing alot and I'm fully aware every time I have to swallow. My doctor knows it's not a medical issue, it's a psychological issue. I believe my Doctor, because in the past I've obsessed with my heart and have a history of HA. I'm now starting to see a psychologist and therapist, I'm trying to avoid meds. I've been taking Magnesium, Vitamin B's and an Asian supplement called "Min-Chex". That combination is working wonders for my anxiety / panic attacks. But I can't seem to get over this swallowing habit.

If only "taking my mind off it" was that easy. Sometimes I tell myself, "it's my God given right to swallow and if I feel like swallowing, I'll swallow." Fear is keeping the obsession alive, so instead of fearing it, accept it. Easier said than done, I'm having trouble accepting it. God willing this will pass. Stay strong!

Does anyone have tips or suggestions for getting over this swallowing obsession?

Your feedback is truly appreciated.
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum

There is a useful article here about this. Its called sensorimotor OCD and it seems to be one that is not well known. I do some of this myself but its with breathing.

Suggest looking at this because it suggests a way of employing Mindfulness to concentrate on the sensation and to learn how to use Mindfulness' techniques to focus with curiosity, acceptance and a non judgemental attititude.

Mindfulness is good for all anxiety disorders, so its worth doing alone but if it helps you with the swallowing it seems even more worth it.

http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspect...gage-from-sens

Re: Excessive/constant swallowing and excessive saliva/spitting

Hi, reading this Iīm saying to myself, how horrible it is. I have the same, you defenitely are not alone, as well as other people! Iīve been anxious for nearly 20 years and the swallowing thing is the worst, I swallow consciously because sometimes I donīt produce any saliva due to anxiety, mainly with strangers in quiet rooms or when talking I MUST still think about saliva build up and need to think when to swallow manually Also fear being judged because of it. Iīve seen the psychiatrist because of it I just canīt take my mind off it and I donīt wanna gulp and give someone the reason to tell me - are you nervous? It has ruined my life...

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Same here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information