Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anybody tried acupuncture?

has anybody tried acupuncture?

hi, i just wondered if anybody had tried acupuncture, and if so how they were getting on with it. the thought of it kinda scares me but i have heard some really great things about it, i almost feel like something needs to be righted within my body and maybe this could help.

thanks

Re: has anybody tried acupuncture?

I had a course for anxiety ...Although it helped relax me the effects never lasted more than a day .It wasnt any more effective than relaxation tbh .I ended up on ANTIDEPRESSANTS and a hole in my purse ...lol.Sue x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I had this once and the following day I had the worst migraine in my life that ended me up in A&E. I didn't go back.

I think finding a good practitioner is hard and I know I may be biased but I think a lot of them are charlatans - charging a lot of money and doing very little - so please be careful and find one that has been recommended to you personally by someone you know.

Never Surrender, Comrade

ive had it lots of time and the experience is so relaxing, i also have th accupuncture seeds which can be kept in for a week you just press them when you are anxious , which was all day for me !!

thanks for replying amandaj, i was surprised to get a couple of negative things back when i have heard such good stuff about acupuncture. is it really just a short-term thing?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I wouldn't say that my post was entirely negative, Allergyphobia.

It's all about personal experiences and I said that I'd advise people to get recommenations first. There is good and bad in all professions and based on my experience I'd just be cautious - I'm not rubbishing ALL Chinese medicines.

You appear to be upset or disappointed by my post by ignoring it, which is a shame.

Never Surrender, Comrade

pffft...

Hi i had it for pain in my shoulder and upper back from my GP only 6 sessions and only left in for 10 mins due to it being on NHS it did help but at first i was in more pain

What are you thinking of having it for ??

Take Care Maggie

Hi,

I tried acupuncture from a couple of practitioners, not for emotional stuff but for some long standing muscular pain. I don't think it cured my problem in the long-term but that may well have been due to other issues in my life, so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.

However, I did feel relaxed during the treatment and I did feel more positive in the hours following treatment. Sometimes I’d also feel tired.

The needles are much thinner than the ones used for injections so won't hurt. When the practitioner put the needle in (probably best to look away if you are nervous) I found I either did n't feel anything at all, I felt a dull ache or I felt something like a very, very tiny electric shock. Once the needles were in I did n't feel anything.

I would definitely see if you can find someone to recommend a practitioner or else make sure the acupuncturist is a member an official body like the British Acupuncture Council. The one I saw was very honest and after 5 sessions we agreed to end it as it did n't seem to work for me.

Also, some osteopaths and physios use a form of acupuncture, but only in a limited form for a specific pain. A proper acupuncturist looks at the whole person not just where the immediate symptoms are.

Hope it goes well for you.

Hi All, thanks for everyones replies.

Melancholia77 i wasn't intentionally ignoring your post i just replied to amandaj as she had had a positive experience and i guess that was something i wanted to find out more about.

I have had a cough for 6 months that they are not sure is asthma, may be allergies, may be thyroid, they are not sure.. i was thinking of getting the acupuncture as i find it very very hard to relax, am always a bit jittery and at the moment this is turning into a phobia of not being able to breathe/my throat closing....not good!

Thank you for everybodys advice and replies... I have been recommended somebody by a friend, I think i will wait until after my blood test next week and take it from there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information