Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello. A long introduction

Hello. A long introduction

hello everyone, my name is Ross and I'm a 38 year old composer. I pitch for advertising music and television title sequences. I get just enough to pay the rent.
    Well, I'm going to talk about my problems - and what I'm doing about them - and what I want from life. It'll take some time because It's hard to see the screen through my tears.
    I've hidden all my life from people and social occasions including picnics, parties, cinema, weddings, clubs, and anywhere that I can't get home from quickly If I need to. I am the best at getting out of social events - even if it means saying I'm going somewhere and just not turning up or saying I went there on the wrong day etc. I'm also quite good at saying I'm not going before I've even heard where I've been invited to. My previous girlfriends have tried to help but I (nearly) always win and they appear to be single. I can't answer the phone or call my friends - the few that I have left.
    I recently found this wonderful site after going to see Patrick Olszowski's "a Walk Through Fear in Pictures and Words" at the gallery@oxo Oxo Tower Wharf in London and I've read many posts.
    I'm proud to say that I went to the gallery on my own. While I was there the photographer was being interviewed by a radio station and I overheard him saying that he went for cognitive behavioral tharapy to learn some life skills and it really helped him with his panic attacks. After the interview I nearly told him that I liked his photos but my throat tightened and tears began to swell and I had to leave. I need to learn some life skills - that's all. I know I'm a nice, caring, amusing, intelligent person (sometimes). I also know that my frustration can overflow into my relationships with people and I can find myself having strange arguments where I cannot let it go. I also take every opportunity to tell people how bad my life is. I have many bad memes that need to be challenged.
    I went to my doctor and handed him a long list of my problems which he read while i cried. I asked for antidepressants and therapy. He gave me the drugs which I took for 4 days before phoning him in a panic. They made me feel like I was permanently on extacy and they stopped me sleeping. He told me to stop taking them and I'm pretty sure now that antidepressants are not what I need. I've tried all the (illegal) drugs in my past - it's one of the many downsides of the music business. Last year I got a little bit into cocaine, mainly because my writing partner has taken it for years - you eventually get drawn in. This did not help my relationship with my girlfriend. We have stopped now since new year - we are more productive and I can almost guarantee that we won't go back there again. It nearly ruined the business.
    I take very small amounts of cannabis mixed with tobacco. I don't smoke cigarettes and I think that I do it for the nicotine. Even these small amounts of cannabis are bad for my head. It makes me 10 times worse and I must give up. I've told my doctor and he will help.
    I drink 2 pints of beer a day and I have to say that beer appears to help me. It certainly makes me feel better especially if I'm with someone. I would say that for me it is an antidepressive. I can laugh and tell jokes and relax. I do go to the pub on my own if no one is around where I drink and read. It's a bit sad I suppose but I figure that at least I get out of the house. Then again I never spark up conversations with people and when I see those other (probably) sad old men who always drink on their own, I imagine that I will become one if I'm not one already. I change the pub each time so that it doesn't appear that I'm nearly always alone. I can see that alcohol is a crutch but it's also what the English do - isn't it?

And so to the catalyst for my push for betterment - I've recently been dumped again (the day before new years eve) after a 3 year relationship - she was a fantastic woman and she deserved better and I wish her luck. She said she felt like a crutch. I sent emails doing the usual pleading (and understanding)

Hi ross, welcome to the site

i hadnt got the time to read ya intro (i will when i have the time, honest) and i was just sayin, welcome

how ya copin with panic attacks now

jade

turn that frown
    upside down

hi ross,

welcome,you will feel at home here,as everyone is friendly,and supportive of each other.

its obvious your an emotional chap,wearing your heart,on your sleeve,which is not a bad thing,as it releases the stress,instead of building it up,its also good for your music,as you put so much feeling into it.

living in central london,which is like a concrete jungle,cant be great for the nervous system,but you seem to be handling it really well,you went to the art theatre on your own,thats better than a lot of people can manage...thats a positive step!

your managing to make a go of your business...thats a positive step.

youve accepted the breakup of your relationship,without being bitter...thats a positive step!

youve just had a really good week,answering the phone,surprising yourself by doing things,that normally bother you...thats a positive step!

and now youve found us...a very positive step!...keep posting,the good days,the bad days,keep a daily journal..write everything down,and in a few months,you can look back,and see just how much,your life has improved.......best wishes..bryan.

Hiya Ross,

Glad to see that you have found this site and have taken a big step in posting your experiences.

The single thing that jumped out at me from your post was your very low self esteem.

I also feel that if I could overcome my self esteem issues then a lot of other things, related to the panicking, would fall into place, and recovery would be a lot easier.

Hiding from events like parties etc are a very common effect of anxiety and panic. As you say, you become an expert on avoidance.

It has taken me some 20 years to finally stop making excuses when I didn't want to attend such events.

I don't go into all the in's and out's of my exact feelings. I just explain that I suffer from panic and that, at present, I'm unable to visit certain places, but I hope to be able to do so in the not so distant future.

I find it such a relief not to have to think up excuses all the time.

You may like to try this sometime, test the water with people that you feel quite confident with.

You will probably find that most people will be sympathetic. Just a suggestion!

You know yourself that even taking the smallest amount of Cannabis is not doing yourself any favours at all.

To enable yourself to move forward, you must do your best to stop taking it at all.

Talk to your doctor about it at the earliest possible opportunity.

You have written a list of negatives which all seem to be fuelled by your low self esteem. But, look instead at your list of positives.

You have achieved such a lot!!!!

Keep these positives uppermost in your mind and push the negatives to the very back! You have achieved a GREAT DEAL!!!!

Be proud of yourself. You get up in the morning, you go out, you have your own home. The list is endless!

When you therapy appointment comes through, GO FOR IT!!

Talk, talk and carry on talking to the therapist. Get all your feeling out in the open. There is nothing more theraputic than facing up to your feelings and then talking about them.

Therapists listen. They do not judge. So, don't hold back, you will find a great weight has been lifted and this will enable you to move forward.

Just remember, Ross, we have all either been there or are still going through the feelings that you are experiencing. Post here as often as you need, we are all here for you.

Take care

Kate x

Hi Ross

What a moving intro - welcome to the site and thanks for opening up to us like that.

Like Kate, I read all the negatives and then I saw the positives and just know that you are a strong person. Most people only ever list the negatives, but you took the time to list the positives too - which shows that you are trying so hard.

The mind is very strong and very powerful and it can trick us into all sort of things. If it wasn't then most of us wouldn't even get scared of such things cos we wouldn't understand why we did in the first place.

You have done well so far and you can continue to do so. Please stay with us and talk to us so we can understand more and help you further.

Let us know if we can help with anything in particular ok?

Nicola

Hi,Ross and welcome to NMP.I read your introduction and the replies to it. Im a relative newbie to the site myself. I suffer from low self esteem and pa,s as well(with me its driving and shopping mainly )but they can strike anytime,anywhere.There is no magic solution .I wish there was. What i can tell you is that the people on this site are great and so supportive. Remember you are not alone.Finding this site and the good people on it has been the best thing thats happened to me.Try and join us in the chat room sometime .In the meantime try and stay positive and remember ..........you are not alone! Take care ,Steve

A short reply - very emotional.
    Thanks for the kind words and support - I will reply more fully in a few days when I have composed myself.
    In the meantime I will continue to take positive steps.

Ross

Hi Ross

Welcome to the site - I am positive that you can turn your life around if you practice.

Speak soon

Emily

Emily

Hey Ross,

Welcome. It's good to hear from you.

I'm so happy to hear that seeing the exhibition moved you to go and ask for help and to be assertive enough to know that you needed a specific form of help too. That's great news.

I know you've stopped the meds now but it's very usual for people to feel worse before they get better..

The CBT referral may take a good while so don't sit and wait for it.

Several things in the meantime - Vitamin B+C complex is always a good place to start as it supports the nervous system and you've probably been running on empty for a while ..the C is for smoking.

Express and comfort yourself in your best way - possibly do it in notes and grow into sequences, compose how it feels for you. Tears mixed with that is fine too.

Pick one thing you'd really like to address ie phone thing and break it down into tiny chunks and go for it by repetition perhaps get your sister to ring very regularly ,then her and your writing partner etc etc.Then you can practice calling recorded lines.

Ensure you continue to go out and about , maybe aim to do one extra trip out than you'd like to.

There is nothing wrong with your beers. Thats totally fine but slowly give up the cannabis.

Low self esteem is a whole different ball game. You know that you're professionally fine and a good talented person or you wouldn't be in the competitive world of media so the translation of that into your personal life is where you might like to focus.
    You could look at an aspect of yourself as a brief for a job. What you as the client wants , what they must work with - time, budget, underscore, idents , bumpers etc and what you can do with a bit of creativity and some tweaking here and there over time and a few meetings. That's how a contract is won, progress is made and a job forfilled and signed off. It's a process, you too develop personally like that.

Do let us know if you have any questions and come back and let us know how you are doing

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hello again,
    wow - where to start - I've been staring at your answers for a few days and acting on them. So many pertinent points and I keep feeling that i should respond to each one. But there are a billion things to say and each one would take half an hour or more. So thanks again - it's all making sense.
    some positives
    I've answered the phone a couple of times and I've just been to the gym for my induction. The instructor is going to phone later today to book a 1 on 1 to find out what I want from the gym and how he can help. I'm going to try to answer it before the machine kicks in. One thing he talked about was posture being linked to your frame of mind - and I do have bad posture. So I'm going to work on posture and aerobics to burn up the nervous energy.
    I went to the falling awake site and have started a list of things to do.
    I bought "the little book of quitting" and I've given up smoking - this is day 2.
    I bought some valerian extract to help me sleep and it did make me sleepy but I woke up at 4am (like I often do) and tossed and turned with my ex and other bad thoughts in my head. It must have been six before I drifted off again.
    I went to the chat room and had a nice time last night.
    I'm going to super drug now to buy my B and C vitamins.
    Reading back it seems like I have so much determination - but it doesn't feel like determination, it's distraction, anything I can do to stop the pain of my loss. I still have that tight physical pain in my chest but it is decreasing. I remember this feeling from before, you just have to keep busy and wait for it to recede. I know it takes time.

I do have some negative feelings and thoughts in my head but at the moment I can't seem to put them into words??? Maybe that's good, keep saying the good things, I don't know.

Phone rang - didn't answer it - something about a contract for last job. Called my partner and he will deal with it. Oh well - As I said I did answer it a couple of times over the last few days so I'm not going to dwell on it.
    I'm off to the chemist.
    Thanks for your help.

Ross

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information