Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram doseage

Citalopram doseage

Hi all

I have just joined today, and I did post this on another part of the forum but then I found this bit and thought it might be more appropriate here!

I was prescibed citalopram last week for anxiety, and have now been on it for a week. I was given 20mg tablets, and told to take 1 a day for the firrst 10 days, then start taking 2 a day, which I guess means I am effectively on 40mg? I was reading on here that that seems to be quite a big jump - does anyone know if this is normal?

Thank you!

V

Re: Citalopram doseage

That seems a high dose to start on.

Personal question: how heavy are you? are you male or female?

Hiya

I'm female, about 5ft 2 and weigh just under 9 stone

V

This may sound stupid but is there any chance you were meant to take a 10mg tablet for the first 10 days then take two?

I would phone your practice and say you have a question about your prescription and speak to your doctor.

Hi I definately wouldnt take 40mg yet ..You may find its a lot better to start on a dose and get stable on that before you increase .Each dose will take abt 4-6 weeks to settle .You may find you feel ok a bit earlier tho .Increasing to such a high dose so soon will be more than likely quite upleasant .The side effects will be worse ..I started on 10mg and worked my way up 10mg at a time .Once the initial dose is in your body the subsequent increases arent as bad ,as the drug is in your system .All the best with it ..Sue x

Hi , I also started citalapram last week , i am on 20mg and i have to go back in a month to see how i am getting on. I wouldn't go up to 40 mg straight away , that doesn' t sound right

Well, I have just called the doctors to get a call back and find out if this is definitely right or not....we shall see. Side effects have been pretty unpleasant as well so far, so was/am dreading the movement! Hopefully they will say I can just carry in with 1 tablet for a bit longer then.

Thanks for all your replies

V xx

The doc I spoke too told me that he thought it sounded too much, particularly as I have been having very noticeable side effects. He told me to wait at least another week, and then try going up to 30mg.

Dont feel pressured into upping until you feel ok again ..You are the one feeling rotten not the Dr ...Hope you feel better soon ..Sue x

Smile Re: Citalopram doseage

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    Hi , I also started citalapram last week , i am on 20mg and i have to go back in a month to see how i am getting on. I wouldn't go up to 40 mg straight away , that doesn' t sound right

Hi Paige

Glad to hear you've "joined the club". Hope it's going well for you.

Cheers

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information