Thread: Side Effects of Meds ??? Week 11

Side Effects of Meds ??? Week 11

Hi All, At the end of January I started suffering from severe Panic Attacks, Agrophobia and Anxiety after a stressful few months at work.
    I was signed of work and prescribed Escitalopram 10mg per day, After about 4 weeks on the Meds I started to feel better and the Panic Attacks and Agrophobia were almost gone, Although the Anxiety was still quiet high.
    Well this feeling good only lasted one week and since then my Anxiety seems out of control. (Panic Attacks have more or less stayed away).
    I am now on week 11 of taking my medications and I am having the following daily feelings / symptoms which Im not sure are caused by the Anxiety or the Medication im on.

Aches and Pains, Hot Flushes which bring on Bad Headaches and Hot Feeling in the eyes, severe irratibility, Abdominal Discomfort, Feelings of Panic and that Im dying, Chest Pain and a General Ill Feeling.

I cant cope no more with this and dont know what to do, Should i increase my Meds or come off them and try something else, dont seem to get much advice from my GP except the usual 'Its Anxiety, stick it out'.

Seems strange that after 4 weeks on them I was feeling almost back to feeling normal, only to feel bad again a week later.

I was also prescribed 'Propranol 40mg daily' last week, but they have had no effect.

Any advice would be welcome, as i just want to feel alot better and get back to work

Re: Side Effects of Meds ??? Week 11

Hi Steve

It seems unusual that you are having these problems after 11 weeks. I'm also on 10mg Cipralex and have had a couple of days of feeling good and almost back to normal (before anxiety etc ever started) only to find that the next day, I can feel awful - anxious, bad tummy, sooo tired and unable to go out etc. I'm on about week 4 now.

Can you think of anything different you have done that may be making you feel like this i.e. drinking/late nights etc. I suspect its just a blip and if you try and do some exercise (easier said than done) and do things you really enjoy, it will pass.

INcidentally, yesterday, my joints and muscles were aching all day, I couldn't eat a thing and felt awful when only the day before, I went to a friends christening, ate loads,was very confident and full of energy etc, so it just goes to show that in the early days, the tablets can do this to us.

Really hope u feel better soon

Jools

forgot to say, i have had the burning eyes thing too and I have put it down to extreme tiredness??

Hi Jool,
    No havent done anything different, 8 hours sleep a night, no alcohol, bit of exercise, just feel terrible compared to what i was like on week 4, really dont think these meds are working or maybe i need an increase.???

Steve

I'd give it a week and see how u feel. If you've already felt better on them, it proves that they can work for you. If you feel the same in a week, I'd go back to the docs to discuss increasing it.

All the best.

Jools

Hi both

I've been on Cipralex for the last 5 years. Last June I actually came off my chill pills altogether. By August I was back on them as suffered terrible panic attacks. Took about 3 weeks for them to kick in again but all good. Got over confident and didn't take them regularly and suffered for it at the end of January with another bout of anxiety - all the same symptons you have both described. Again, took about another 3 weeks for them to kick in. 11 / 12 weeks on I am suffering again with panic / anxiety attacks. Have taken my pills regularly. Doc seems unconcerned and has given me Diazapan 2mg for the really bad attacks - they do help but I only take them at the end of the day if I feel I can get no respite from the anxiety.

My point is, we have good days and bad days and it only takes one tiny thing to trigger an attack. I had a good day yesterday and today has been dreadful. I honestly think they take longer to work for some of us than others and we are just the unfortunate ones who need to stick with them a little longer before they work AND THEY WILL WORK. I had years of no attacks before I started messing around with them.

As hard as it is, try and go to work, go shopping, do the ironing etc because it is a real achievement and you should be proud of yourself for doing - we didn't choose to suffer with this. I found the coping section very helpful and have all the words in my phone and read them when I feel bad - its helps, its a distraction - I use it as a mantra to help the panic pass.

Wishing you both better days ahead. Your posts are very re-assuring that I'm not the only one in the world suffering and I hope you can get comfort from this post.

Thread Information