Thread: worried about diabetes

worried about diabetes

Hey all. I have been seeing black "floaters" in my eyes for a while now. Usually when its sunny out but sometimes indoors. Also it happens when i have a smoke. This has began to concern me and i researched it online. I saw that this is a symptom of diabetes. I am 23 yrs old and am wondering do i have diabetes? i am a def sufferer of health anxiety from time to time. But i am wondering if these floaters are normal or a real health concern. I told my dr and he didnt really seem to concerned. What do you think.

Re: worried about diabetes

Do you have a history of it in your family? Do you have any other health issues, i.e weight, BP, etc.?

no history of it in family , i am pretty in shape 6'0", 170 lbs. i go to the gym several times a wk. i could eat healthier though

Type 2 diabetes in younger people, especially non-overweight people, is pretty uncommon; most people diagnosed with T2 diabetes are at least in to their 40's.

I am a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed just after my 22nd birthday, and people typically have far more symptoms than floaters in their eyes - eye damage doesn't usually occur in diabetics unless they have been undiagnosed for several years, and in my opinion if your blood sugar is high enough to cause damage to your eyes you would have other symptoms too.

Floaters are normal, it seems that most people will have them at some point in their lives and in most cases isn't caused by anything that will damage your vision.

My mum is a Type 2 diabetic and wasnt diagnosed until her late 40s, this was mainly dure to her being overweight.

I am borderline on diabetes, i have to watch myself and get tested every 3 months, and so far i havent been confirmed as being diabetic.

floaters are common with anxiety, I get them alot when i am anxious, i wouldnt worry about it so much.

hope this helps. x

I am type 1 diabetic since I was 8 years old and have had eye damage (in my early 20's) but its all ok now. If you were a type 1 diabetic you would know for sure as you would be losing weight rapidly, feel totally exhausted, be thirsty beyond belief and need to wee all the time, you would also not have those symptoms for long before you became seriously ill and your doctor would know for sure if you were displaying symptoms of diabetes. The chance of you being type 2 at your age when you are fit and slim is next to nothing so I wouldnt worry about it..

The sort of floaters I got with my diabetic eye damage were like big black smudges in my vision which spread to a cloudy patch which was like looking through dirty pond water.

hope that helps - if you are really worried just get a glucose check which plenty of chemists (I think boots) will do for you.

Suz

Thread Information