Thread: Failed driving test again

Red face Failed driving test again

I failed my driving test today for the second time. First time I got one serious fault and 5 minors. Today I resat it and was more anxious and had a bad examiner. I got three serious two of which was not helped when I knew I made the frist mistake and 8 minors but he was picking faults easy.

I felt like giving up but rebooked but what If I don't pass third, fourth? 5th time? I now have to wait 7 weeks again I could have picked another town and got it in three but I'd not have known the roads well...

Re: Failed driving test again

You have my up-most sympathy. It is such a crushing blow to anyone, let alone anyone who has fragile self-esteem. I began learning to drive in 1996 and didn't pass until 2005 - their was much heartache, tears and frustration in that time. It didn't help that I kept having a unsympathetic callous examiner for most of my tests. NEVER give up, I nearly did on a number of occasions - but grit, determination and stubborn-mindedness won through in the end. The very best of luck.

Keep at it

I almost gave up after my second fail but passed on my third go, even though I'm sure I got more nervous each time. Not sure how much difference it made, but my instructor sat in the back of the car the third time in the hope it would help calm me down, which I think it possibly did, maybe because I felt as if the examiner's attention wasn't all on me (although it obviously was). Would you consider that? I also heard the examiner ask my instructor why he was coming with us, so he was aware I had problem with nerves.

My second examiner was an old b@st@rd but luckily I was back to no 1 the third time.

I'm going to ask if I can't get that same one again as he could not stop marking me down for everything. I feel crushed as my hour before it I done the manvers perfect but due to roadworks the usual test route had changed so the surprise of my instructor.

It was a blow as I'm out of work so money is tight and don't want to give up now. I know I'm a bit rusty on reverse round a corner which was one serious fault but I controlled it back into line. I'm not very confident on it but the hour before I done it fine.

My worry is a third time being told No it may just make me give up or something. I can do it just it depends on traffic on the day and stuff. I'm not having a good run of luck anywhere the now.

Hi Phil,

I am sorry to hear this and I would just like to say I know what you're going through as I've been through the same thing as well, felt the same fears, experienced the same bad luck.

It's actually taken me a lot to write this because it's also made me talk about it to as I am finding it very hard to deal with this. There is a lot more to my situation but I feel at the moment I can't talk about it as I am too embarrassed to, but really just wanted you to know that you're not alone.

Take Care.

I passed third time too and after the second fail I felt just as demoralised and wanted to give up. They do say that the examiners are not all consistant with what they let us get away with on the tests....some being more strict while others will recognise what you'll improve on once you're driving around properly and without the nerves. I'm sure you can ask that you are not given the same examiner again.

Good luck

Anna xx

Hello, if it makes you feel better I took about 8 tests to pass, and on one of them it started snowing and I didn't know what to do as the windows steamed up and I couldn't see! The instructor had not shown me how to use the fan etc so I fiddled with the controls and it didn't help so I asked the examiner what to do and he said he couldn't help me so I stopped the car and started crying. I wouldn't drive back to the test centre as I was too upset so the examiner had to walk back in the snow to get my instructor! It was very embarrassing but I passed 2 tests after that and have been driving successfully for 5 years now (albeit in an automatic). Do you think your anxiety is having a big effect? For me my anxiety on the test day was a problem and on the test that I passed on I had taken beta blockers just for that day. Also I read a Paul McKenna book before-I can't remember which one exactly but it was all about visualising yourself doing well in situations. But failing a few times is not a big deal, once you pass you will have so much freedom it is worth all the hassle, all the best.

Wanted to bump this again

I hope to learn to drive again one day but it’s been about 9 years since last tried. I was hoping to get my wife some driving lessons however my anxiety makes me worry going in a car more often isn’t safe? My ex drove and I use to be ok with taking the car but worry about all the risks of driving..sure millions drive but I still worry?

Phill you should be saying I Will be driving,honestly it’s great being out on the open road,face your fear and book some lessons,nine years is along time ago you Can Do It.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Phill you should be saying I Will be driving,honestly it’s great being out on the open road,face your fear and book some lessons,nine years is along time ago you Can Do It.
    Thanks hope my partner passes then I can maybe learn to drive again too. I have not slept well my non anxiety head days driving will be good but my anxious head says driving poses a danger and if even I am a passenger in a car more frequently that’s more dangerous so I have felt a bit anxious about it all. Even regret buying the lessons for her as if she passes I may need to be in a car more often.

Thread Information