Thread: Citalopram 20mg > Cipralex 20mg

Citalopram 20mg > Cipralex 20mg

Yesterday I went to see a private psychiatrist. He is very qualified and has his studio in Harley Street.

When I went to see him I was on DAY 6 of Citalopram 20mg (still hadn't kicked in - major anxiety especially early morning) and at the end of our session he reccommended I switch to 20mg Cipralex.

I have taken my first 20mg Cipralex about an hour ago, but I then read on these forums that 20mg is the maximum dose!!! I want to trust his judgement as he is so qualified, but I think I should have perhaps started with 10mg?

Very confused...

Re: Citalopram 20mg > Cipralex 20mg

I have gathered up some courage and texted the psychiatrist asking him politely if he thought the jump from 20mg Citalopram to 20mg Escitalopram after only 6 days was may be too much.

He very kindly replied saying that if I prefer I can take 10mg Escitalopram for a week and then increase to 20mg.

Too bad today I have already taken 20mg, but tomorrow I will take only 10mg.
    Last edited by newbie76; 23-04-10 at 10:13. Reason: Grammar!

I'd just do as he says, like u say he is very qualified....your dose can always be adjusted at a later date?

wow, thats good being able to text ur phychiatrist, how handy is that! lol

All the best

just ring and ask to speak to him? - but like you said he prob wouldnt have put you on this dose if he thought it would be a prob - however you know yourself better than he does - and if you have bad side effects you need to discuss this with him, same as you would a gp - and he may drop the dose - sure there will be a perfectly rational explanation for why some ppl arent given full dose and you are - remember not even ppl on here know everything about meds and your doctor is still a human being

trust him man, if you are still worried speak to a pharmacist

Well, I have to admit I did not follow his advice.
    He told me to stay on 10mg Cipralex for a week and then increase to the full 20mg, but 1 week came and passed and I kept on taking 10mg...

The thing is, I started to feel better after about 2 weeks so I asked myself what is the point of doubling the dose of a medication on which I will have to stay for at least the next 6 months if it's already working at the current dose?

At the end of the day it is me who has to take it, so I will see what the psychiatrist think about it when I next see him in a month time.

My also very experienced psychiatrist told me that antidepressants need to be given in higher doses to help anxiety. Im on 20 mg cipralex.

Antidepressants first help depression, then help anxiety. This is the reason he would put you on 20 mg. Its why I was put on 20.

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowGirl View Post
    Agree, that is awesome! I wish regular psychiatrists offered that service.

@newbie ; I would take his advice. If it doesn't help.. let him know Good luck.
    Yes I was very surprised as well when my GP gave me his mobile number instead of his office/studio number! He said he never found that people abused of it so he is happy to give it out!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyRachel View Post
    My also very experienced psychiatrist told me that antidepressants need to be given in higher doses to help anxiety. Im on 20 mg cipralex.

Antidepressants first help depression, then help anxiety. This is the reason he would put you on 20 mg. Its why I was put on 20.
    What you say makes sense BabyRachel bu interestingly, I used to be on 10mg Citalopram a few years ago and they worked great for my anxiety, in fact, they eliminated it more or less, and I think that 10mg Citalopram is a relatively low dose. My anxiety was pretty bad and constant too. I think it will differ from person to person. I'm now about 6 weeks in on 10mg , Cipralex and although I am much better than I was, my anxiety is still here this time!

Jools x

Thread Information