Thread: Beta blocker

Beta blocker

I take 50 mg ER (extended release) of metoprolol which is a beta-blocker for bad palpitations. They seem to be doing well with that. But I am also taking Klonopin .25 mg up to four times a day and sometimes my blood pressure is in the 90's systolically (which the MD isn't too concerned about), but I noticed my pulse sometimes is in the high 50's or low 60's, which is really scaring me. Does anybody else have this?

Re: Beta blocker

Yes I take betablockers too, 80mg slow release Propranolol (Inderal) and my pulse can be around 59 alot of the time, though I find that its usually back up into the 70s later in the day, so i'd guessed the first few hours after taking it would be when the effects of it would be stronger. Ive never really worried about it and never been told by the doctor to worry about it, so i'd say try not to worry about this yourself.

Take care
    Anna

Thank you for your reply. The NP said that if I wanted to drop the beta-blocker for a couple of days down to 25 mg and see how it goes, that that would be fine. But, if I noticed my palpitations coming back, then I should go right back up to 50 mg. They are the extended release kind you take once a day. I may ask her next week to give me the regular ones, 25 mg twice a day. That way if my pulse is too low at either the morning or evening dose, I can skip one dose, but take the other.

If you've been given them because of palpitations then you would have had quite a fast heart rate before yes? It could be that you're so used to a raised heart rate that 50 to 60 beats per minute seems very slow to you now. Before I was given the slow release pills, I was on two 40mg pills a day and I have to say that my body did not like this at all, the peaks and plummets were too extreme and upset my system too much, so I find i'm much better on the slow release.

My usual routine is to take it with my breakfast and after about an hour I take my blood pressure (which is mainly why i'm on them) and its usually normal and pulse is around 55 to 60. Blood pressure rises slightly in the evening as does pulse rate but that's ok, I can live with that and my doctor can too.

I would say please don't worry about a 50 to 60 pulse. Unless the slow release pills are making you feel ill in other ways then in my opinion they are kinder on the body than the other type of beta blocker. If the pulse rate is your only worry then please be assured that this is fine.

Anna xx
    Last edited by Going home; 23-04-10 at 23:51. Reason: spelling

They put me on them because I have ended up in the emergency room a few times with a panic attack and my pulse in the 150's. Also, of course, my blood pressure would be up. One doctor thought I had a supraventricular tachycardia (PAT) which is not dangerous, but scary. They treat those with beta-blockers, also. But, the 3 or so EKG's they have are all sinus tachycardia, which means the EKG's are normal, just fast. I am on the klonopin .25 mg, 3 or 4 times a day to help relax me from the anxiety.

Its a strange old life isn't it? you say you ended up in the emergency room and had a blood pressure reading in the 150s, yet my mom only yesterday was telling me that she'd been to her doc just for a routine exam and her BP was 150 over 79 and her doc was happy with this for her age...she's 77. So what makes it ok at 77 to have a BP at 150 but not at 57?

However, although i'm kind of familiar with the effects of beta blockers I really have no knowlwdge of the other med you take so I don't know if they interact...im sure your doctor would know this.

Anna

My pulse was in the 150's. (very fast from the panic attack) My blood pressure was 160/90 - high.
    The klonopin is an anti-anxiety drug (like ativan, valium, etc). It helps with panic attacks.
    So, yes, I definitely needed the beta-blocker for the rapid pulse. It just now seems to have made the pulse so low. (and the blood pressure).

Thread Information