Thread: citralopram and returning anxiety

citralopram and returning anxiety

I have been taking citralopram for about 5 weeks now and initally the anxiety subsided and i thought that i had cracked it. but now after 5 weeks the anxiety has returned on a daily basis and sometimes it is worse than it was initially. has anyone else experienced this and will the anxiety eventually completely disappear. i am getting extremely fed up with it all and want it all to go away. please help

Re: citralopram and returning anxiety

Yeah this is well known side effect of citalopram. It does happen, but it also will settle down.
    My doctor warned me that it takes a few months to get your system used to it all. Some of the initial side effects are that the panic gets worse for a little while.
    Carry on with the medication - this is just your system getting used to the new chemicals.
    Helen xx

Yes this happened to me at about that point. I endured it for a while, but I was also depressed and had suicidal thoughts, so after about a month of being down again, I went back to the doctor and asked for an increase in medication. It did the trick.

It could be that your body has got used to your dose and your mind has started to overrule the drugs. You need to be on a dose that will make your mind calm down.

But everyone is different - you can't rely on this site to be the gospel truth! Make sure you discuss all the options with your doctor. They gave me tranquilizers when I asked for a dose increase since I was so anxious. They were good. It was such a relief to be worry-free

Sorry for the long response! Good luck x

Hi This is happening to me too. I'm on 20mg after a previous spell on 10mg. I'm into my 3rd week and today my anxiety is back....

Helps to read this though as I realise I'm not on my own. I'm going to see if it settles down which I hope it will, if not i'll have to go back to the docs....

Hope everyone has a good day today.

Bazwelsh

glad this has happened to others too... i don't mean glad, i mean reassured. i am also taking diazapam 5mg to try to easy the anxiety but i'm not sure this is having any effect or think it might be making things worse. the minute i wake up i am anxious and it it so easy just to reach for a diazapam. do you think i should go through the anxiety on citraloplam on its own?

For some reasons I could not deal well with the SSRI's, like citralopram. I take Klonopin .25 mg 3 - 4 times a day. The one problem I have with that though is that it does make me dizzy and drowsy.

Thread Information