Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How can I tell when a post is serious or not???

Re: How can I tell when a post is serious or not???

Yeah, definitely. I guess though, some people need to know where to drawn the line between living online and living in the real world. For me it seemed obvoius when my recovery had reached that point. Probably the same will be true for others when they reach the same point. I definitely agree with you that there are people who do not have the support in real life that they need, and for other people it's too early to go it alone. I guess things will only change when the stigma about mental and emotional problems is finally consigned to history's rubbish bin.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Re: How can I tell when a post is serious or not???

I am once again having to add a disclaimer -- my comments above were NOT intended to encourage ANYONE to leave NMP. As Nic says, NMP is intended as a support community as well as a source of information.

What I actually meant was, people should only consider reducing their involvement with the NMP community if that involvement has become counter-productive, for example constant in-fighting, or finding that reading posts on the forums triggers or worsens your own condition, or finding that you are browsing the forums as an excuse not to get involved in real life.

There is no need for members to leave NMP altogether unless they genuinely feel that the time is right to "leave the nest" and make their own way in the world. In many cases this would probably be when a member's recovery has reached an advanced stage and they possess the skill, experience and emotional strength to face the world. Everyone will reach recovery at their own rate, and people should ask themselves if they are REALLY ready to go it alone before cancelling their membership of NMP.

That's my last word on the matter; if anyone else wants to leave because of something I've said or done (sorry to make it sound like this is all about me), or because of negative events on the forum, then I for one will respect your decision IF it is based on reasoning and logic!

That is all.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information