Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flying with agoraphobia

flying with agoraphobia

i have had agoraphobia since october, i just turned 17 and tomorrow i will be flying to norway, and if thats not bad, i will also be stopping over denmark (flight transfer stop over etc etc)

what on earth will i do? my family dont understand my problem, neither my few friends. im extremely scared, please help.

Please please tell me what i can do.
    Last edited by Thefear7; 01-05-10 at 18:10.

Re: flying with agoraphobia

Hi there.

I'm sorry you feel you have had to wait but sometimes people aren't able to offer advice on problems that they are not familiar with.

Seeing as you are flying tomorrow I think you will have to distract yourself as much as possible..take music, books, plenty of water to sip and that should help ease things a bit.
    I know how awful it feels but try and remember although you feels so bad with the phobia, those panicky feelings can't actually hurt you. Also try and keep your breathing as calm as possible, breathe from your tum, not high up in the chest and shoulders.

I think you may need to pay a visit to your GP, particularly as parents and friends don't understand, they may be able to refer you for further help.

Good luck

It's a struggle to go the damn GP, and the local supermarket (10-15 mins away) and i have to FLY TO A country via another country aswell, im absolutely terrified about tomorrow

Do normal pharmacies sell valium and stuff like that?

Yes Im sure it is..I also have agoraphobia so know exactly how terrifying it is.

Unfortuately you cannot buy Valium or anything of that type over the counter although sometimes anti-histamines can help.

There is also bach's Rescue remedy which is a herbal remedy, may be worth a try.

No they dont but they do sell something called rescue remedy which is extremely helpful. I highly recommend that. I have suffered with agoraphobia for 23 years. I cant even get to an airport let alone think of flying !! I wiash you the very best of luck tomorrow !!

I am so sorry to hear and know how you feel even tho I come from Uk I am now in Denmark so know you have someone nearby while in Denmark. I am unalble to fly and its been this way on and off for about 20 years. but I do practise locally and now am able to walk to places nearby and also drive my car about 200Km away. I just had to babystep my victories to do such things in the past. I hope by now your in Poland let us know how your doing...

I made it! arrived kind of late to the airport so i didnt wait for a long time, boarded plane to denmark and it was hard for the first hour or so but the old man sitting next moved seats after an hour so after that it went pretty smooth. then went to den mark, only had to wait 30 minutes the plane so i walked around the airport abit listening to music in my headphones and i was kind of nervous until i boarded the plane to norway (not poland, i was just kinda paranoid someone i knew would read it) and it was so easy mainly because it was not full.

how did i do it? i stayed strong in my head and said to myself THERE IS NO WAY I CAN DIE FROM THIS CRAP and i stayed strong even though sometimes i felt liked going to the toilet (just so i could escape the packed plane and have abit of space for myself, but i didnt do that and i stayed strong

also music helped alot.

good luck to anyone on here who is going to fly, no one has ever died from this stupid anxiety and agoraphobia nonsense.

Well done, Im still not going to fly though! Your strong positive thoughts kept you going and you didnt give in, I so admire your strength. You are right, no one has died from anxiety or agoraphobia, we know this logically but our brains have other ideas!
    I am so happy for you, this is the start of great things.
    Take care,

I still cant believe i did it, was really anxious the days before and didnt sleep the night before.

Four months ago it was really hard for me to even leave my house, but since march i have been leaving my house regularlyand now i flew to two countries by myself. Positive thoughts helped me alot last night, and this afternoon i even went to the city here and ate a pizza and walked round here.

WELL DONE YOU, WAS A GREAT SUCCESS.

I'm gonna remember this story to get me back on the "right track" with a plane trip.

Was it just your massive willpower that got you there or did you use any meds - hope you dont mind me asking that??

Good luck and enjoy your break.

YEEE HA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information