Thread: Beta Blockers

Beta Blockers

Hi

This is my first time on a forum! I have been suffering with panic attacks and have been taking beta blockers to reduce the sensation of a pounding heart, as this tends to trigger my attacks. I am having to come off the tablets as I am thinking of starting a family.

I have weaned down from 30mg of propranolol per day and I am now not taking any tablets, but I am finding it a real rollercoaster. Any little hint of adrenaline and it is sending my body into overdrive!

I just wondered if anyone else has come off beta blockers and had a similar experience, and if so, how long will it last?

I am determined to beat this!

Thank you for your support

Re: Beta Blockers

Hi - I am presently on a beta-blocker (metoprolol 15 mg extended release). I was up to 50 mg at one time, but with the benzo I was taking also, my pulse and blood pressure was getting kind of low.
    I felt the difference right away when the dosage was lowered - I could feel my heart pounding some. They originally had discontinued it, and then just put me on the small amount of it. I am taking ativan .25 mg about twice a day and I think that has helped some with the palpitations. But when I am anxious and sometimes when I don't feel anxious, I can feel my heart pounding. I am still very much nervous still though. For you, if your anxiety is better, if you don't focus in on the feeling of your heart pounding, it'll go away sooner.

Re: Beta Blockers

Thank you for replying. I have done really well today so far and have ignored my pounding heart and told myself it is a natural reaction to my negative thoughts and that I am just noticing it more cos I am off the tablets!!

Everyday I am trying to face a challenge and overcome it without taking a beta blocker!

Thread Information