Thread: never ending!!

never ending!!

sorry ppl its just me again needing a moan. had a terrible attack yesterday, this is the first time ive surfaced since then. been worring about an upcoming appointment as this time iv to try and go to them instead of them coming to me. i know theyve dealt with this before but sometimes i feel like they dont get how hard it is for me to go out, even the run up to it i start having panic attacks. was sitting yesterday trying to figure out how im going to manage and it hit me so hard. it was the worst attack iv had in a while, and i get them weekly. it brought to mind my biggest question, is all this worth it? i know im not the only person whos ever asked themselves this but sometimes i really start doubting that going and getting help was a positive. i do understand why i have to try and attend this appointment but i feel like their trying to 'flood' me, ive had this done to me before and the result was not pretty for me or them. i know getting over agrophobia and bad panic attacks isnt easy but i was wondering if anyone knew any coping techniques that i could try and use cos this apointment is in 2 weeks and im freaking out about it and its really getting me down x

Hi Suzi,
    Im in a simlar situation myself, i have an appointment in feb with a cpn and i have to go to them, not started to worry yet but it will come no doubt.
    I dont think anyone truely understands how hard it is for people to go out while agoraphobic unless they have experienced it themselves.
    My advice would be not to do anything your not happy with, like the flooding, thats your choice and they cant make you do it.
    Maybe request a home visit if you can just until you feel you can cope better, surely they will try to understand.

As for coping techniques there are loads and they work for differant people.
    I find the Claire Weekes method works best for me, Just accepting that the panics cannot harm you and trying not to add all the 'what ifs' and oh no's'
    Positive thinking can work miracles if you can get to grips with it.
    Another thing i do is concentrate on my stomache and keeping it relaxed because this helps my breathing stay calm, take a deep breath and really drop your shoulders back this relieves loads of tension.
    A Claire Weekes quote i like is 'recovery lies in the places and experiences we fear' and its true we will never be well again if we continue to avoid things and let the panics scare us.
    Easier said than done though.
    Good luck and i hope i have been some kind of help to you.
    Take care
    Poppy

Hello Suzi

If you have the opportunity to be seen at home first off and going to them seems to big a step then try to rearrange it.

If you are very restricted it is worth joining the telephone recovery service at www.nopanic.org.

Flooding does sometimes work but in general is not the tried and tested way and little and gentle is a longer term positive solution.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Suzi

I asked my CBT therapist about flooding and she said in some cases it works and in other cases it causes more damage and more problems so she decided not to do it with me.

She wanted me to take very small steps at a time.

Nicola

Hi Suzi

I am a sufferer of agroaphobia and panic and have suffered for many years.

I am not doing exposure therapy with a CBT therapist who is also a trained CPN and after waiting 3 years I am finally starting to gain the benefits from going out again. I can now pick up my therapist and go out for drives and also to sainsburys again

It can and it will work for you. Try taking a CD with you for the journey and do some breathing techniques this should help aleviate the fear and the feelings of panic

If you ever need to talk you are welcome to PM me

Take good care and good luck

Sue with 5

scknight

Thread Information