Thread: new member worried about vcjd

new member worried about vcjd

Hey guys just joined the site after being a long time reader. About two months ago I started to get worried about fainting in a lecture at university. Exams and deadlines were coming up fast too and I was worrying about those. So I kinda let anxiety get on top of me and now I'm really struggling with it. I've been scared of cancer and vcjd for about 8 years and basically what with anxiety being a symptom of vcjd I've basically become totally terrified that this is the cause. I constantly check my memory to ascertain whether I'm getting dementia and its really making life hard. Has anyone else got/had this fear and can offer me some advice on breaking this vicious circle? Plus I've just started taking escitalopram has anyone had any success with this medication?

Thanks!

Re: new member worried about vcjd

hi there

first of all, yes the escitalopram will prob help you. I remember the first time I took it after 2 weeks I just felt better so be positive about the med.

secondly I empathise with your feelings of anxiety over vcjd fears. The important thing to remember is that these are only fears - you haven't actually been diagnosed with the problem, now it is the fear that has overtaken you and is causing a cycle of symptoms/anxiety/symptoms.

My youngest son is 12 now and had a polio vaccine as a baby. I was later told by my gp that this particular batch of vaccine was produced from the blood of a donor who later went on to develop cjd. I was totally freaked especially as I was told it has an incubation of 10 years. He is now 12 and a perfectly healthy normal boy.

You must remember that this disease is very rare whereas anxiety and depression are extremely common and treatable. I wish you the very best with your meds

Hi I had fears of vcjd for years, I developed insomnia several times which convinced me I had it. For me instantly diazepam helped just to give me some breathing space. Then finally I had CBT. Also the article on this site about dying really helped me, my son had said something similar to me. Good luck poor you take care.

Thanks does anyone else have problems with memory and anxiety? I feel kinda weird and detached from my memory and its scaring me!

Yes I get where I can't remeber my past long term and last week!! People tell me things I've done/said and I really don't remember! I also have acute anxiety and awful insomnia so of course I think I have vcjd too - it's so scary :(

thanks for the support guys I'm only on day three of taking escitalopram but I'm already feeling remarkably calm! I'm still constantly questioning my memory though which is reminding me of vcjd fear! I seem to have a perfectly good memory but I feel oddly detached from what I'm remebering it's hard to explain! Does anyone else get this spaced out feeling when panicking?

Hey sorry to bump my own topic but I'm feeling especially bad today every day I wake up and convince myself I have a new symptom. I think about vcjd almost 24 hours a day. I have convinced myself that I am having trouble swallowing and am freaking out about it. Does anyone have any good techniques for breaking out of this cycle?

dont worry i get every symptom u get too with a few added i cant even walk properly ur not alone.. and its all in our heads
    :(

It is on our heads, I agree.
    As soon as I stop thinking about one symptom a new one develops so I know it's my mind playing tricks on me or I must have more lives than a cat!!!

Emily xxx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Thread Information