Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrifying Depersonalization/Derealization

I get it too! Terrible, terrible feeling. Think I am going crazy but guess what, when you accept it and let it come, it goes away. It takes time and patience and I still get it at times but it does go away if you are confident it will and can accept it (dont try to forget it as that can make it worse - as already said)

the more you focus on it, the more it comes... As said, vicious circle.

And yes I know it, I had it off and on for 5 1/2 years and sometimes it was with me for months at a time, almost always. It runs you down and feel terrible, but the only thing that ever helped it was to stop thinking about it by a combination of distraction, positive thinking and exercise.

I still get them but they get less and less each time as I am learning to pay less attention to it (as scary as it is).

Cheers
    Paul

I had d/p for months!!!!!! It will go, I can understand your concerns about mediacation, I had them too BUT personally I believe it was the best thing I have ever done. It took the edge off my tension eventually letting my barriers down. I thought I was going to lose it too, I never wanted to be left alone. I havnt lost it, I never will. I fear that the most.
    thinking this kept my d/p with me. I didnt want it to but it did!! It was extreamly hard but it did go.

you can do it, you worrying about having it at the monment is probably feeding your anxiety.

Good luck mate xx

Re: Terrifying Depersonalization/Derealization

I'm going thru it RIGHT NOW. Agreed, vicious circle, thinking about it in depth only makes it worse, and can cause me to panic. The only thing that helps is ignoring it, and keeping busy. Yes, sleep too helps, but makes it worse because waking up is hard because in my sleep i'm totaly fine, then wake up and BAM there's that feeling again. I'm gonna push thru it and not let it take over me!

I know this is such an old post but is there anymore advice? Is anyone better? I hate this :( :(

I have had this for quite some time now however last week and the week before that I was making real progress with it and it was all but gone. This was due to simply accepting it and moving on with whatever I was doing whether it was there or not. It was incredibly hard. This week after slipping back into bad habits of not enough sleep etc it came back. I think I basically tried to run before I could walk. I thought 'yeah I feel better so now I can do what I want' but that was a mistake. I am beginning to accept it again now as simply anxiety as that is really all it is.

Sarahjosephine and rchippex, how do you find it affects you? Do you have existential type thoughts all the time? I think how we are all just atoms and dwell on that and I analyse everything and think life is all so incredible how can it be real

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information