Thread: Magnesium supplements

Magnesium supplements

Has anyone tried magnesium suppliments for their anxiety? I ask because this is a recent train of thought. I have been up the walls for 4 days with increased anxiety and it culminated into a really bad migraine attack. I've suffered from migraines since childhood and never really associated the migraine and anxiety, since the anxiety has only really been an issue over the last 3 years. A friend asked tonight if I thought the two could be linked which prompted me to search online for links between the two. I was astonished to find that the link could be magnesium deficiency and that other symptoms, including muscle cramps, chronic fatigue and insomnia (all of which have caused me considerable difficulties) were also indicators of this.

I intend to discuss this with my GP at my appointment next week, but thought I'd ask about other people's experience with magnesium supplements first. For the first time in years, this all seems to make sense. I'm trying not to get over-excited at the thought of a solution, but its hard to ignore the massive links.

Nic

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Magnesium supplements

I tried magnesium as I suffer with migraines too and unfortunately it didn't do much - although it did make me feel calmer and more relaxed. It's certainly something to try and I would never discourage anyone; but just make sure you increase the dose slowly as it can be a nasty laxative lol. Also give it a month to work.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I use magnesium oil which i spray on and massage into my body. I will say I have felt better since I started using it but dont know if its magnesium or just me. When you take mag orally I read only 20% of it is absorbed.
    Rachael

From what I've read so far it needs to be a combination of supplements and dietary change and that supplements in too high a dose can have negative effects.

hi, well i read this online too and i still take magnesium supplements and i still suffer with all the things you have mentioned - i think we just want something to make it go away and will try almost anything? id recommend relaxation or meditation as more effective than supplements and a heatlhy diet with lots of fruit and veg, less caffeine and alcohol, more exercise fresh air and better sleep - all very hard when you are feeling like poop, i know but things can be introduced slowly over time and should build up to making you feel healthier - but i think tackling your negative thoughts is another key part of feeling better?

Thread Information