Thread: olanzapine with mirtazipine

olanzapine with mirtazipine

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about olanzapine and its effectiveness (half of a 2.5mg tablet) with anxiety? And if it is tolerated well with mirtazipine?

Jo.

Re: olanzapine with mirtazipine

That wouldnt be good for weight gain thats all I know. olanzapine causes severe weight gain and mirtazapine also causes weight gain in people but to a lesser extent.

This was off crazymeds.us

Just don’t mix Remeron with Zyprexa as your choice of antipsychotic and antidepressant. One woman was recently prescribed that combination as an inpatient in a Canadian hospital. She reported on the bipolar support forum on about.com how she ballooned up in weight, from 103 pounds to 162 pounds, in about six weeks, and carrying that on a 5′ 1″ frame. She gained a pound and a half a day, eating hospital food!

Quote Originally Posted by JT69 View Post
    Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about olanzapine and its effectiveness (half of a 2.5mg tablet) with anxiety? And if it is tolerated well with mirtazipine?

Jo.
    Hi Jo

I didn't have a good experience on either olanzapine or mirtazapine. Olanzapine helped me to sleep but I woke up with extreme anxiety and sweats. It also made me feel really depressed and agitated. The max time I was on it was for 6 weeks (no weight gain) then I had bouts of a couple of weeks at a time but it really didn't help my anxiety at all. I couldn't think on it, short term memory was really bad, I was agitated and had twitching legs and really dry eyes. Mirtazapine is supposed to be really good for anxiety and insomnia particularly at low doses but it didn't work for me. Each day I took Mirtazapine my anxiety got worse and I was losing 1 lb in weight a day due to not being able to eat or sleep.

Hope somebody can give you a positive slant on this combo. Good luck.

Sarah

I take 5mg Olanzapine at night along with fluoxetine in the mornings........ been on this for the last 12 weeks or so. No significant side effects though I have had to cut down on the eating a bit as my jeans were getting a bit tight!..... I was eating to much to be honest! Helped with sleep at night and the anxiety levels have improved though still feel really rough first thing in the morning.

Hi Jo are you going to take the olazapine instead of the pregabalin? Sorry but I haven't taken olanzapine. Was once offered risperidone for anxiety but I did not take it. EJ

I take 7.5 olanzapine and it does keep me very carm and sleep like a log.

The weight gain is some what of a myth, it doesn't increase weight, it does increase your appetite. That's what my dr told me.

So if he get extra hungry eat a carrot
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

I take 5mg of olanzapine aswel as 30mg of citalopram for anxiety and panic attacks, at first the olanzapine really calmed me but that seems to be wearing off now and my anxiety is back it can increase your appetite so thats where the weight gain comes in but in the 8 weeks ive been on it it hasnt mine! X x

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    I take 5mg of olanzapine aswel as 30mg of citalopram for anxiety and panic attacks, at first the olanzapine really calmed me but that seems to be wearing off now and my anxiety is back it can increase your appetite so thats where the weight gain comes in but in the 8 weeks ive been on it it hasnt mine! X x
    Nicola is olanzapine another name for diazipam or are you on both I have not heard of this name before. Just wandering.

Cathy xx

Hi Cathy, olanzapine is actually an antipsychotic med yes i know i freaked aswell when the doc prescribed it for me but in low doses like 5mg it is very effective against anxiety and panic disorders, it can make you drowsy (doesn't me) so you mainly take it at night, the effects are immediate not like AD's and increase the longer you take it, its prescribed alongside an AD as an add on med for extreme anxiety and panic xx

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethJane View Post
    Hi Jo are you going to take the olazapine instead of the pregabalin? Sorry but I haven't taken olanzapine. Was once offered risperidone for anxiety but I did not take it. EJ
    Hi EJ

Hope you are doing ok. The thread was started back in 2010 before I started on mirtazipine and then pregabalin...it was when I was on citalopram and my GP was trialling olazapine.

I am happy with the combination of mirt/preg so dont intend changing at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

JO.x

Thread Information