Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese.B12 & Depression link

Cheese.B12 & Depression link

Hi
    Just thought I would quickly add this to the site, whilst I think of it.
    Whenever I ate hard cheeses - cheddar - in the past, I would feel depressed a couple of hours later. I noticed this every time, so I stopped eating cheese.(I am the same with white breads too)
    I tried it again at the weekend and found the very same thing happened.
    I looked some articles online about foods related to anxiety and depression,and found that there is quite a lot of sites that connect eating cheese and depression.
    Maybe this will not cause any problems in every individual, but for some it may help contribute to their depression.
    Also I had my B12 injection and found that I feel so much better since then.
    I had pernicious anemia.
    I read up on the B vitamins and found that a lack of any one of them can cause depression and mental changes.
    Just thought would add this anyway, for what its worth.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Cheese.B12 & Depression link

Interesting.... I know some dairy products can affect some folks in negative ways so will see how I feel next time I have a cheese-laden pizza lol.

One thing that does affect me badly is preservatives/additives that are in nearly all processed foods.

I definitely think there's some link between the things we eat and depression/anxiety so I'd recommend that we watch out for foods that affect us in this way.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Oh my goodness!
    Im a serious cheeseaholic and eat cheese every single day.
    I will even open a tin of pineapples and cut chunks of extra mature cheddar and put it on sticks and make a meal of it.
    I even eat toast with Seriously strong spread cheese on.
    Ive been very depressed recently and havent been able to eat.
    The only thing ive been able to eat is cheese.
    Cheese now is a no no.
    Thanks for telling us this poppy.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Oh nooooo I love cheese, have got it on my dinner tonight, lol

Someone else recommended Vit B12 as well, really think I might give this a go, anything is worth a try !!

I find that anything too spicy or anything that is sweet n sour will set my palpitations off very badly so I avoid them all now, so miss my spicy food.

Hello I do believe that B12 does help however I have been taking viatmin B12 complex for the past 6 months and my depression has gotten worse not better. I don't know,im not saying taking the b12 has made me worse, just saying don't pin too mcuh on this. I had read that b12 and omega 3 helps those with depression and it hasn't for me. Thanks for the cheese tip! Will eat less of it!
    xxxx

Theres some interesting info on diet issues relating to sleep probs and Depression on this link www.13.waisays.com Sue

Hi
    Thanks for all replies and also for sharing the link too - just going to have a look at that.
    I hope I have not turned you all against cheese lol It is difficult I find in giving it up because I love it, but just can't cope with the effects.
    Remember that this is just my own personal experience and it may not affect others in the same way.
    Bex - I am the same with anything too spicy or salty. I can't drink cola either because of the palpitations I get and coffee makes me go seriously mood swingy.
    Lynn- Maybe eating too much cheese is making your depression worse? or maybe it has nothing to do with it, in which case keep eating it, if you dont eat anything else! lol
    My diet is really restricted - thats prob why I ended up with pernicious anemia I hardly eat anything actually and I am a vegetarian too, but I dont like many vegetables
    Hallam - That is odd about the vit B12 as it is supposed to help, but I suppose it is like anything - what works for one person doesn't always work for another. I have B12 injections, but I don't think there is much difference between the injections and tablets.
    Does anyone else have any other food tips?
    I love reading about food and how it can affects moods, anxiety and depression.
    There is a lot of information on the MIND website about diet and mood too.
    http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_...d/did_you_know
    Last edited by PoppyC; 11-05-10 at 12:24.

I had B12 injections and iron and folate tablets years ago. It helped a bit. My docter told me that the B12 usually only will last in the body for about 2 years so it is worth getting blood tests again after that. I don't think that the tablets work as well because the levels are not as high as the injectable type?

I did wonder if the tablets were not being absorbed in my body. I have been taking them for 6 months now and I thought I may feel some benefits. You know other viatmins have to be taken alongside others otherwise they wont be absorbed I wonder if thats the same for vitamin B12? Just an idea?
    x

Hi,
    I think some of us definately react to certain foods as others dont. I cant eat chocolate as I find it increases the palps, strawberries bring me out in a rash, orange juice makes my eczema worse. Ive cut down on cheese, eat very few sweets and find my diet is getting more boring by the day!!! But at least Im feeling better in myself so all these nice things I dont eat anymore is definately a small price to pay for feeling happier!
    Take care,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information