Thread: palps

palps

hi. its been a while since ive been on here as i got pretty much back to normal after being ill with anxiety. however, ive felt myself going backwards again over the last couple of months or so. im just wondering has anyone any advice on either controling palipations, or jumps to the chest or what ever those sensations are that are so frightening. many thanks in advance from panelman.

Re: palps

I've had a lot of trouble with palpitations - I've been in the ER a few times - with a pulse sometimes up in the 150's. It always turns out to be sinus tachycardia (normal EKG - but too fast) - having a panic attack. I was on a beta-blocker, but the last time I was in the ER, there was a pediatric cardiologist who told me to get off the beta-blocker and start exercising again. Just keep reminding yourself your heart is healthy - and don't keep checking your pulse.
    That's one thing I have been working on with my anxiety.

They are very scarey - I have to agree. I've been feeling pretty good recently, but for some reason I've been having a higher level of anxiety recently and low and gehold the palps have returned. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm fine, but they are scarey. What I do find though, is the more exercise I got the better I felt. I'm really not sure if alcohol has much to do with these experiences, but I find that after a 'heavy weekend' I expereince these sensations also. I'm very tempted to knock the booze on the head to see if that helps.
    As for checking the pulse I used to do that all the time, and I now stop myself from doing it....

Exercise does actually help heaps with palpitations and also anxeity in general. I was too scared to exercise during the really bad stage of my anxiety as I was terrified of giving myself a heart attack but it really really does help!

You don't have to do anything too strenuous I just play on the Wii fit for about an hour a day or maybe some dancing haha. Go for little walks, or just energetic housework works a treat!

Also when they happen I know they're very scary but try not to get scared and stressed out over them or they will happen more often (in my experience anyway). Just try to ignore them and go about your day. xx

Oh and baldydude, yes alcohol makes the situation worse I'm afraid haha! When I drink my heart goes crazy fast, sometimes I'm too drunk to care but others I go the opposite way and have a panic attack over it and the day after, even if I've been fine whilst drunk, my anxiety is very high and my symptoms are there ALLL day. I havn't drank in about two weeks and I feel great though xx

Post removed by author
    Last edited by cymraig_chris; 24-07-11 at 13:11.

In regards to people suggesting exercise. Try an dance aerobic DVD, I ordered one from amazon for about £5 and Im useless at it, so I end up laughing so hard at how I cant keep up with all the crazy dance moves. It also makes me laugh about how unfit I am, 2 minutes and Im having to take a break.
    As for the palps themselves. I hated them when I had them. Been on propranalol for a few months and Ive not had any that I can think of since then.

Also, to help with the fear of these, remember to read through or even ask a question at RLR's site. ( A retired neurologist) and of course the section below on this forum, where many people leave helpful info

http://palps.chemicalforums.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

oh and dont forget to join our support group on facebook below.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information