Thread: Ending Therapy

Ending Therapy

Hi, I don't want to scare anyone but I really need some help. I've been having CBT on and off for over 2 years through the NHS. I finally got settled with one therapist and was doing really well. Then when I had what was supposed to be my last session I just had a massive set back and it was almost as if i forgot everything!

This all happened towards the end of March, since then I've been feeling really agraphobic, high anxiety and panic attacks. I went to my GP who told me to get back in touch with my CBT thearapist. I did and we've had a few more appointments but now she is ending the thearpy again and I'm scared! I'm back on anti-depressants and been off work sick since the end of march!

My CBT therapist is referring me to family therapy but that will mean another waiting list of at least 6 months! I don't know what to do, I feel so desperate and scared, I just don't want to feel like this anymore!

When I tell my therapist how i feel she says that I know what to do, I feel likes she's giving up on me

Should I write to my therapist before my next appointment?

Thanks in advance for any help x

Re: Ending Therapy

she may think you are getting better ,,are you scared of facing things on your own

terrified! Just because things have been really hard these last weeks! I've had a massive set back, I'm really struggling with life! I'm struggling to leave my house! I just can't seem to focus, if that makes sense. I'm just scared of everything. x

Hi jellylegs
    what you are feeling is perfectly normal, making the break from therapy is hard especially when you have been in it for a while.
    Did you gradually wean off therapy? i have been working with my psych weekly for 16mths & recently she suggested I should begin to think about when I wanted to take a break. Instant panic! like you I thought she was giving up on me & honestly didn't think I would cope, together we decided I would have fortnightly appointments for a while, 2 mths later I am more confident about coping on my own & have begun talking to others about how I feel rather than waiting for my appointment with her. my next step will be to go to monthly appointments, then three monthly.

Writing to your therapist is a good idea, sometimes its easier than face to face as you can think about what you have to say. Your therapist will be able to help you with this but only if she knows how you feel.

Take care
    Annette

Thread Information