Thread: Hair Pulling

Hair Pulling

I mentioned in my intro post that I self harm, and it's been an interesting and long recovery. I don't think my self harm is severe, but I've been told not to compare it to other people, since it is still unhealthy. I do multiple things, but mostly cut, bang my wrists, and hair pull.

Since my panic attack, my anxiety has been nearly unbearable and I am finding it hard to not self harm, since it is a form of relief and relaxation for me. It is almost instantaneous. I've found myself pulling hair from my head and other parts of my body, and I really want to stop. I've done fairly well with the other two, but I can't seem to stop the hair pulling. It's somewhat vain, but I'm getting self concious about my hairline, since I pull out mostly from my widow's peak. I feel like I can't stop, since i's one of the few things that brigns me almost instantaneous distraction and relaxation.

Does anyone else do this? If so, how do you keep from hair pulling?

(if this is in the wrong place please tell me, I wasn't sure where to put it)

Hi Kalin,

First well done on stopping the self-harm (as we say over here[8D])

I do certianly pull the odd hair out when I'm anxious and so I guess you are just doing this on a bigger scale. When I go through a good phase, all that stops. I know of many others who just get restless when anxious and this is for a similar reason I suppose. Many seemingly normal people nail bite, don't they?

I don't think hair-pulling is anything major to worry about, just concentrate on the positive aspects of improving your mindset and it will eventually go away or at least recede.

Have you considered a new hair do that might reduce your need to hair pull if its to do with vanity?

Hopefully, others will come along and advise also.

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Ah, I'll edit my post to change the wording.

The pulling itself is not about vanity...I want to stop pulling because of vanity. I have long hair for the most part, and have been trying to grow it out for many, many years. It is very obvious when I start pulling hair, especially after I let it grow back for a time, since there will be a large patch of inch long hair standing out against my waist length hair.

It's definitely not a serious problem, but it's very annoying. Also, I've noticed in the past that I move from hair pulling to more serious self harm if I let it go unchecked. I'm worried because it's so hard to stop this time.

I'm not completely recovered from self harm, and I still slip up often, but I am doing so much better. I just wish I could finally be free of it for good (and one day, I will be).

Oh Kalin, I thought I was the only peson stupid enough to pull out her waist length hair, it is the only thing good about me. I do not know how to stop and often end an evening with piles of hair which makes me feel so bad. I have a bald patch about the size of a 50p but still I keep pulling. Why doesn't it hurt? If it did would we still do it I wonder.

Try to pull in different places, then it does hurt but I know this is hard. Floozie

I dont really know much about this as Ive only self-harmed a very few times and Ive never hair-pulled. But, whenever I get anxious I find my hands in my hair. I find it very relaxing. I take pieces of hair and gently twist it over and over through my fingers. Maybe you can try that instead. Sorry if that sounded iggnorant - but I thought maybe it would be relaxing for you to still play with your hair without damaging it.

Wow...it is such a relief to hear about someone else with panic/anxiety that engages in self harm...by that I mean I now know I am not alone, and that my self harm may be related to my PD. I have read about Borderine Personality Disorder, and one of the criteria for that is self harm, so I have wondered if I had that. I already have ADHD, slight OCD and PD.
    I first began my self harm after leaving an extremeley abusive relationship. It would normally happen if I got inot huge arguements with my boyfriend. I have tried to stop...and sometimes I do fight the urge to hurt myself but sometimes I don't because it seems to be an emotional release for me. It begn with head banging, then banging objectts on my body, mostly my head, then I began cutting.( I don't though pull out my hair.) Sometimes I did it my myself, (like cutting) and sometimes I did it near my bf, or in front of him. 2 years ago I was so upset that I took a razor blade to my face and cut it up severely...and at the time I worked as an actress so my face was my way of making money. I had a hard time covering it up, but I used my special makeup called dermablend (which I use to cover up a couple of tattoos, for when I modelled and acted), which enabled me to go outside, but I couldn't work for a while.
    Currently I am going to college to be a counsellor for children and youth, and I want so bad to help myself, so I can help others. I am aware of when I hurt myself, but the emotions are so intense that feeling pain seems to help.
    Anyways...you are not alone. And thank you for sharing your story because I know I am not alone.
    What kind of treatment are you receiveing? Are you on any medication? Hopefully this message board can be a beneficial form of treatment for you, too.

Hi Kalin

I used to pull my hair out always at the crown. I would also tie knots in my hair and get my hair in such a mess but pulling it out felt good. I have long straight hair. I used to s/h in other ways as well but I have stopped. My hair is now growing in on top and it looks awful as it is spiky on top and I have to keep putting stuff on to make it lie down. To make it look less conspictuous I had layers cut into my hair and coloured the bottom ends to distract (hopefully).
    I still bit my nails and skin but hey that is a lifetime habit!

Take care
    Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Blondeangel, I don't only deal with panic disorder. I've been seeing a counselor and I have been tentatively labled bipolar II or depressed (most likely the latter), which is probably where the self harm originates. Since I began panicking it is simply a calming thing, I was doing it long before the panic set in.

When I was at my worse, I used to pull all the hair out of my legs and pinch my thighs. This left me with bald legs and alot of bruising. Thankfully I'm past that stage, now if only I could stop the nail biting...

Thread Information