Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returning to work

Unhappy Returning to work

Hi all.
    This is my issue.
    I am still in the early days of citalopram-day37 but I am l have seen my doctor and he said in the next couple of weeks we could look at the talking about the phased return. I have no problem with this.
    I want to go back to work believe me , I go through scenarios where everything goes smoothly when I start back, but in reality I am scared as hell . I dont know if its the 'first step' part from my house to the workplace but I cant control my fears of messing everything up having a panic attack or just bursting into tears due to the enormity of the situation. What I think I need is supervision when I start back. so scared.
    Jean

Re: Returning to work

Hi,

I have been back at work for 2 months now, i like you thought the enormity of the situation would overwhelm me, however 2 months in i am doing ok. It wasnt as hard as i thought it would be. Dont get me wrong its not easy, but its never as bad as you think. Some days i feel bad, like today, but i just get on with it. Its not ideal and some days i am exhausted and want to scream but compared to 7 months ago when i was pretty much restricted to my bedroom its a walk in the park.

I hope this helps, i cant relate to citalopram as i chose to recover drug free

HI .
    JONNY582
    Thats exactly it I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to peform at work as we think what is expected of us.Well done for not taking the drug route, I have been on anti depressants for coming up10 1/2 years so it could end up being a lifetime thing I dont know . But when the time comes to start back I know for a fact that I will not put put myself under any pressure.
    Jean

Yes i think alot of my problems stemmed for work and putting too much pressure on myself. I am now trying to not put so much pressure on myself.

I did try antidepressents, but i got scared by the mood swings it gave me.

Hi Jaded Jean

Not sure if this might help, but having been off work for three months I arranged to meet with some work colleagues for lunch the week before my phased return to work. Although I was pretty panicky at the time, it actually helped prepare me for physically being back at work. I have very supportive colleagues, and hope this might be the case for you too.

MB

Hello MB.
    I do meet 1 or 2 colleagues occasionally for lunch or they come to my house. We talk about work etc but things seem to be changing alot. The area I work in -Retirement Housing I cannot visit my scheme due to insurance purposes. I cannot fraternise with any of my clients socially.Its crazy I get told I will be kept in the loop of any meetings and I will be sent the minutes. but get nothing-nada. And this was suggested in January- I have been off 7 months now. I often wonder if I should take up cleaning. Good honest job.
    Jean

Hi Jean

I am in exactly the same place as you at the moment, although I haven't been off work for so long. I have been off for about 2-3 weeks (its all a blur at the moment) and have the rest of this week off. My proposed back to work date is 1st June. Its such a horrible feeling knowing that you need to get back to normal but feeling terrified to at the same time. Like MB, I have been told that going in and meeting people for lunch is a good idea, so I will try to do that this week, although even that feels scary at the moment.

I hope you manage to be strong and get through it

x

Hi Jean, I was due to go back to work on june 7th, but an hour before i was supposed to leave i became very hot and sweaty and panicky and i just couldnt cope with it and i became very tearful as well, i was going to try again today but I had no sleep last night and felt very tearfull again this morning and couldn't do it. I have a doctors appointment thursday. I feel so angry with myself as i want to get back to normality, I have been off work for 8 weeks so far, fed up with myself.

Loraine.
    Dont worry hun you are still anxious, maybe not ready even now. It is that leap of faith that makes us shudder doesnt it. I am feeling exactly the same as you , pacing around like a caged animal sometimes as the waiting drives you mad. I am still waitinf for my doctor to give the go ahead with my reteurn to work and its been a case of backwards and forwards over and over again. Now I have got a reason for not being ready both m parents ahave been diagnosed with cancer. so Not 100% at the mo.

Jean, omg i am so sorry to hear that, you must feel awful and hears me going on about unimportant things, I cant begin to imagine how you feel. take care xxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information