Thread: Suffered palpitations for the first time

Suffered palpitations for the first time

Hi, I'm 19 years old and have suffered from anxiety for a long time but it only recently got worse the last few months which I've gone to seen my GP about.

Yesterday I was having a pretty upbeat day, not worrying about anything and just generally feeling happy, then out of nowhere I had palpitations for the first time and it really freaked me out.

Usually I would of thought that the palpitations were brought on by my anxiety, but it has never happened before and it came at a time when I wasn't anxious or stressed at all.

The only thing I could see being the cause is that I took a multivitamin for the first time the day before I had the palpitations, and I just find it ironic that I'd then have palpitations the next day.

So I was just wondering if it's possible for multivitamins to cause palpitations at all?

Thanks.

Re: Suffered palpitations for the first time

Hi,
    Its a nightmare when these palps just pop in from no where isnt it? It brings the age old question what came first: the palps and then the anxiety or the anxiety and then the palps?!
    I think we tend to worry subconsiously all the time, silly little things that are so deep we hardly notice we are worrying because we are that used to our lives being anxious! Ive also read that palps can come on from any emotion be it elation, sadness, crying and even sex! Try not to worry about them, they are harmless, not that our brains want to believe this, the brain needs us to be affraid so that the palps can bug us for longer! The least we fear the palps the less they will happen.
    Just a thought but had you been drinking anything with caffeine? Or even eating chocolate? For me it seems to be the chocolate that sets mine off so Ive stopped eating it, which is a pain as I was a chocoholic!
    Take care,

It really is a nightmare the way it pops up from out of nowhere. It scared me quite alot, but as long as I can tell myself that they are harmless, then I hope that will help me alot.

Funny enough I'd actually cut almost everything with caffeine out of my diet a couple months ago when my anxiety got bad again.

I did have chocolate earlier in the day actually, two bars I believe.

I remember my first bout of palpitations very well, I was sitting on the sofa watching Emmerdale & eating savoury mince & mashed potato & they came from no where & just wouldn't stop, I didn't have a clue what was going on at the time as it just felt like my heart kept falling to my stomach & then coming back up again over & over, freaked me out so much.
    I have learnt over time that mine are worse with caffeine, I can't drink coffee at all anymore & have to have de-caff tea, I can't have anything sweet & sour either.
    Mine are also worse if I am tired.

A ,lot of people claim to have eradicated the palps by change of diet. How and where does one start.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

PS if you go and read up on RLR's forum, you will read an explanation as to why, on a seemingly good, non anxious day they happen. he explains how the anxiety is undercover.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Multivitamins can take months or weeks to build up in your body and have a positive effect, so bearing this in mind, I doubt they could cause palps especially after one, I'm no expert but prob just a coincidence,

Vits are more beneficial when taken with a meal, bear this in mind and keep it up!

Thread Information