Thread: Options? Don't seem to fit the mould...

Options? Don't seem to fit the mould...

After along time of struggling I've finally started getting help, but I'm a bit disappointed with what is available to me.

My employer runs a free wellness programmewhich includes counselling of up to 6 sessions a year- very nice, and I have used it, but it was clear early on that my needs are for more long-term counselling to resolve deep-seated, long term issues with roots deep in my childhood and subconscious. The counsellor at the time was suggesting hypnotherapy, CBT, upping my meds and various other things to get to my root issues, and stated herself that she felt she could offer limited help for my needs in such a short time frame.

I have received a referral from my GP and just got my call today from the counselling service - they have 2 options to offer me. 6 sessions of counselling, or group therapy in a stress management course.

My issue isn't stress. It is anxiety, depression and deep-seated emotional, psychological and self-harm issues. I am broken, and group sessions to discuss stress isn't going to help that. How am I supposed to discuss the things that happened to me, and the things I feel and think and fear, in front of a group of complete strangers? I still struggle to discuss it with my partner and he KNOWS IT ALL ALREADY!

What is there available for people like me?

It just feels like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. For years I was afraid to seek help and now I am finally able to do it there isn't anything for me.

Re: Options? Don't seem to fit the mould...

Hi Bunny,

firstly, i would ask how you know you need 'more long-term counselling to resolve deep-seated, long term issues with roots deep in my childhood and subconscious', i am not saying you do or dont as i dont know your presentation, however i would not jump to conclusions if i were you.
    Next, i would question what the counsellor said, such as suggesting you need 'hypnotherapy, CBT, upping my meds and various other things', seems like a cocktail of nonesense to me!!
    Next, and very importantly, i would ring back the counselling service and ask to speak to the person who assessed your needs and ask them to justify the interventions offered, however it is usual to offer patients the lowest interventions first in a stepped-care model.
    Next, if you dont get what you hear from the counselling service i would question the decision via the usual routes, i.e. discuss with GP, discuss with your local PALS, enquire via your local health authority, etc.

In a nutshell, if you think you need a certain intervention which has not been offered, question it and get people to justify their opinions.

Good luck.

thetube82

Thread Information