Thread: Increase in Panic attacks - Not sleeping

Unhappy Increase in Panic attacks - Not sleeping

For the last couple of weeks my panic attacks have almost taken over my life completely. I cant sleep, for fear of dying so trigger repeated panic attacks, I took one at my daughters school, cos my thoughts just started wondering. :( My doctor has upped my prescription to 120mg per day of propranalol, but i dont feel any different (that was a week ago he upped it).

Im surviving some nights on as little as 30 mins sleep others im that tired i can sleep for 3 hours. But everytime i close my eyes, my dreams take me to horrible places. Last night i had such a vivid dream, I nodded off about 4am, it appeared that i was in a church with a wedding going on, i walked to the front of the church & standing there was my daughter getting married, she looked beautiful, but as I looked about everyone looked older, but no-one noticed me. I saw her dad, her step-dad (which is a miracle that both could be in the same room), my son (who looked so much older), & our family all around. As i tried to talk to her, I heard my daughter say she wished I could have been there & how she missed me. With that I woke up with a jolt, to see my husband whom had been woken up by a scream i had did out loud. He was totally freaked out, said he'd tried to wake me, cos i was crying in my sleep. When i looked at the clock it was on 4.20am. I know it just sounds like a dream but its totally freaking me out even more. I couldnt get back to sleep & have taken 2 panic attacks since.

My doctor is sending me back to counselling but im not sure it will help, i always feel worse! But the waiting list is long so chances are it could be months before i see anyone again!

Sorry for the rant. I just need to vent. Scared the attacks are taking over me. Ive not had a day for a while without an attack. Really wish i could be normal.

Re: Increase in Panic attacks - Not sleeping

Hi SweetMummy,

You sound like you have been through a tough time lately with your panic attacks.
    I used to be on Citalopram for mine but as like you said they do nothing so thats why I eventually weened myself down to10mg with advice and help of my doctor. Everyone responds differently to them.
    I would go back to your doctor and stree how you are feeling and the tablets are not working. Unless you kick up a fuss noone seems to take notice!! Mental illness gets swept under the carpet.
    I have been suffering with them for 3/4 years I am nearly 22. I am managing to work but sometimes I have a really bad attack and have to calm myself down in the toilers. Luckily my job is always busy so I can sit at my desk and keep busy only way to get through the day.
    My advice would be go private and see a Hypnotherapist. I started seeing one in August and By December By life had changed and was back to normal. Unfortunatly in January my grandad was diagnosed with Cancer and because my recovery period was long enough to sustain my attacks came back. I am now back and things are starting to get better.
    I Ilive in surrey and I use this website www.sich.co.uk but there are lots of them out there and some are able to come to your home. It can be expensive and not an overnight mireacle can take a little while everyone is different.

If you want to chat more please feel free to p message me xx

Thread Information