Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to therapy

Lightbulb Going back to therapy

I suffer from panics attacks, for some reason when travelling in the car it triggers, but also have at home & work, mostly in the car specially when traveling on motorways which I avoid completely, I dont have a phobia with traveling or driving, im fine mostly when doing local driving im fine,

I have tried therapy for 18months and it didnt help at all, but I feel the panic attacks are holding me back and thinking about therapy. But dont really want to throw away money if it's pointless again. I have been looking at trying CBT and would like to hear if thearpy has helped anyone here.

Thx
    Bobby

Re: Going back to therapy

Hi I have a similar problem. Im more or less ok if im on small roads in and around where i live, but as soon as i get onto busy roads then i start to feel the anxiety rise. Motorways Ive avoided for about 18months.
    I also dont have a fear of driving. I think my issue is that I feel trapped on these big roads. Theres no way to turn around and flee back home easily.
    Do you have a specific trigger that started this or did it just build up over a time?

Quote Originally Posted by Vixxy View Post
    Hi I have a similar problem. Im more or less ok if im on small roads in and around where i live, but as soon as i get onto busy roads then i start to feel the anxiety rise. Motorways Ive avoided for about 18months.
    I also dont have a fear of driving. I think my issue is that I feel trapped on these big roads. Theres no way to turn around and flee back home easily.
    Do you have a specific trigger that started this or did it just build up over a time?

Hi Vixxy
    I dont really have a trigger, it mostly on Bigger roads, but some times I will have them at home, work, anywhere. It have been building up for a while, Iv been having panic attacks for 8 years now, and I have have enough and just want to get rid of it.

My last therapist said its some thats on my unconcious mind. Im not to sure how find what my unconcious mind is thinking.

Do you have a specific trigger.

hey, i've had 2 CBT sessions so far, i thought the first was crap, but the 2nd was really good.... i did EMDR because my therapist thinks i have post traumatic stress in addition to my panic disorder, and it really made me feel relaxed so i am optimistic about the therapy.
    sorry can't be more helpful as only had 2 sessions, but i also feel my anxiety rising in the car and i think the only way to combat that is to physically drive more and make yourself realise that the fear is irrational and once you realise that the anxiety levels should fall

Quote Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
    hey, i've had 2 CBT sessions so far, i thought the first was crap, but the 2nd was really good.... i did EMDR because my therapist thinks i have post traumatic stress in addition to my panic disorder, and it really made me feel relaxed so i am optimistic about the therapy.
    sorry can't be more helpful as only had 2 sessions, but i also feel my anxiety rising in the car and i think the only way to combat that is to physically drive more and make yourself realise that the fear is irrational and once you realise that the anxiety levels should fall
    Hi Ragdoll

Thx for the post, Iv done some research online, Im hearing a lot of positive stuff about CBT, Im going to give it a try, at £70 a session I hope it works LOL, I have tryed to drive more but dont want to be driving whist having a panic attack, but it mostly long distances & motorways when it happens, most of the time im ok driving locally (touch wood). I sort of convince myself that I am going to have a panic attack before I start the journey, which I need to learn not to do that.
    Good Luck with your CBT therapy, not that you'll need it.

haha, yeah, CBT therapies are pricey... not as bad as the Psychiatrist appointment i had though which was £300 for 1 hour! i worked out that's 8.3p every second....lucky him! thank god i'm covered by BUPA though, can't imagine how large my bill would be if not, because i had loads of scans and tests done in hospital before getting diagnosed with panic disorder.

Good luck to you too!
    Last edited by ragdoll; 20-05-10 at 11:25.

Hi,
    I have been suffering for 3/4 years. I have tried medication+therapy but I have not found them successful.
    I found Hypnotherapy to be the best It changed my life around as if I never had suffered from panic attacks. But unfortunatly my attacks reappeared in Feb due to me coming off my meds and it scared the sub concious as it used it as a safety blanket which was taken away from it and scared it and triggered them off. I have been going back for 4weeks and I am improving again :0)
    Everyone takes different amounts of time,sessions and this is rare on NHS so can br pricey.
    But for me can not but price on having your freedom and life back.
    This company has clinics in surrey and couple other places.
    www.sich.co.uk hope this helps.

Danielle

Go to your GP and find out if you can get it on the NHS first. I was referred within 2 weeks for CBT.
    As for my trigger. I was driving myself and my husband back from xmas at his parents house in london 2 xmas ago. We got stuck in a traffic jam on the A3 that went on for miles with no way off the road. The fact I could see this long line of traffic in front of me with no hope of escape really affected me and I was having a lot of anxiety.

hi guys,

this post really upsets me.....
    I am a qualified CBT therapist and it really bugs me when people pay good money to see us!!!....... Firstly i would recommend you speak to your GP regarding a referral for CBT, not anything else if that is what is needed, and by a qualified CBT therapist, if no joy push it further, then further again if nothing!!! As for paying that much to see a psychiatrist..................shocking.

Infact i change my view......spend that money and time you are probably wasting by buying some good CBT books or self-help guides etc., read them, re-read them, then for extra help read them again, doing everything they say!!!

Good luck and sorry for sounding like a rant but this bugs me!!!...............

thetube82

Hi there

Although I have not had CBT I know fromm others on this forum that it isn't simply a matter of pushing for a referral.

If you are lucky enough to get on a CBT waiting list there is often a wait of many months, sometimes up to a year.
    There are also GP's who do not refer to this service so it is no wonder people are willing to pay, it's out of desperation.

Self help books are a great idea and so is the online sites for CBT but it is a process that takes discipline..people may often need one to one support with this.

Just my opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information