Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVT / Blood clot worry :(

DVT / Blood clot worry :(

Its back again - my DVT worry.

Yesterday afternoon I had a sore leg and it continued all through the evening. It felt like a short cramp on and off (particularly when I would take my first few steps walking then it went away)

So I went up to the after hours GP clinic last night and she told me to take some panadol, use a heat pack and come back tonight if it was still sore.

Well that didn't stop me worrying either so I came home and went straight to bed and it is still sore this morning.

Of course I googled - and the feeling of crampiness can be one of the first signs of a DVT - and then it gets worse from there.

I am so scared - I don't know how many times in my life I have to be punished with this worry. I was doing so well and now I hate life again with a passion. I am being so short with my little kids - its not fair on them.
    Last edited by SamanthaAU; 20-05-10 at 13:15.
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Re: DVT / Blood clot worry :(

Hi, I have a friend who suffers from DVT on a fairly regular basis due to a blood disorder she has. I know the symptoms she gets are the leg feeling extremely hot and being very swollen. The last one she had a few months ago her leg was 2 inches bigger than usual. Cramp on it's own is fairly common and it's probably just muscle strain. If you get the other symptoms then call NHS direct and ask them for advice.

Amanda x

Hiya,i have had a dvt,and you would know about it if had one!my pain was unbearable was in hospital a week,try and not worry,i have a blood clotting disorder,and because i have had one dvt im at high risk of having another,really wish i didnt have that worry,but i know i just have to get on with life,life is too short x

Thank you both for your replies!

I went to the doctor today as it wasn't getting any better - and he sent me for an ultrasound.

It was all ok - no blood clot could be found. I was just talking to my mum (my dad had a DVT a few years back) and she said his pain was like a constant cramp in his leg.

So now I am worried all over again - because it is a cramp pain I can feel. They would definitely have found it wouldn't they if there was one?

I have had a bit of twitching and stuff in my leg too but I still can't help but worry(panic!!)
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

hi
    i have loads of problems with cramp and numbness in my left leg. the doctors say it is a trapped nerve but i still worry about dvt, had it quite a few times now tho and neyer has been a dvt so hopefully they are right.
    all the best hope you feel better soon

Thanks

Still worried though
    ~Dr Seuss~

Can anyone reassure me that they would have seen something - please??
    ~Dr Seuss~

hey..iv had this exact same worry all night:S iv had like a crampy pain in my left calf for about 4 hours now, it kinda comes and goes with different movemement or sometimes just on its own. from reading this post though, i think its reassuring to think that all these people who have had DVT had very severe symptoms, so try not to worry. also, im sure that if the doctor had any concerns they would have sent you for other relevent tests, so even if the ultrsound doesn't show it up, you shouldn't worry. doctors can't really leave things to chance. hope you feel better soon x

An ultrasound can pick up a foetus the size of a thumbnail deep inside the womb, and my partner only has one kidney since he donated his other, and he often has to have an ultrasound scan of his surviving kidney, so if it can pick up abnormalities inside organs like the womb and the kidney amongst others, I would think its fairly safe to say it would have picked up a blood clot in your leg. But I'm not sure that we are reassuring you...and we are trying!

Take care
    Anna xxx
    Last edited by Going home; 20-05-10 at 23:22. Reason: spelling

I spoke to my friend again and she said with hers her leg looks greyish, she has real severe pain deep in the leg (she said alot worse than cramp), the skin is extremely hot and swollen. The ultrasound would pick up anything abnormal and if they suspected anything they would do a veinogram as well.

Are you lacking in potassium as it's a common cause for cramp.

Amanda x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information