Thread: Newbie and scared

Newbie and scared

Hi All,

Been prescribed 20 mg citlopram by my dr on monday for depression, started taking tuesday morn on advice of pharmacist. So far the side effects are annoying - no sleep, feeling sick, no appetite (no bad thing, losing a few pounds) and the jaw clenching.

Have noticed a small difference in mood - ever so slightly more upbeat so to say in the late afternoon / early eve.

However quite scared after looking at forums like this about the withdrawal and how long the symptoms last. So looking at responses on a couple things:

1. Would i be right in thinking that most people are fine and its just the ones suffering that post on sites such as this and therefor stop worrying?

2. Should i stop after 4 tablets and go back to my GP with concerns next week as 4 tablets cant be that bad to come off from?

Thanks
    ppw

Re: Newbie and scared

Hi and welcome to NMP , you will find it supportive here Paige x

Stop worrying about the side effects , they do not last. I had exactly the same as you but it passed after a week , and i am now nearly 6 weeks in and i can feel a difference in my anxiety.
    Your not going to come of them already are you? Don't give up !! I think people put to much emphasis on side effects and i think most of them is things they would have anyway or it is magnified by what they have read.
    I was scared to go on Citalapram because of what i have read but i did it and im glad i did.
    Something else interesting. I work with a lot of elderly who are on Citalapram and not one of them has mentioned side effects.... funny that none of them have the internet....

I think Paige has a good point, I was prescribed Cit 3 years ago when I was out of work and I had little or no side effects that I recall, I just took the pills and I felt less depressed. That time I had no immediate access to the web and couldn't spend time reading up on the effects and how long they should take to take effect.

One difference this time taking them is that I have a level of anxiety which makes me want to be free of the effects NOW NOW NOW!!!! Feeling desperate and trapped led me to start googling for citalopram and led me to forums like this which have helped in some ways but may have increased my anxiety worrying about how long it may take to be free of the desperate feelings and how the side effects may hit me. Now I'm trying not to let that worry me and just find a bit of hope in talking to the folks here on the forum.
    Last edited by Raindog; 25-05-10 at 09:39. Reason: spelling

Thread Information